It is officially 1 month since I climbed on the plane for England, and it has been a very fast paced and exciting month......I met some ladies last night (will tell you more about the how and why later), and I said to them "if you are going to leave a country, do it fast, the faster the better" and I really do believe that.
Simon, Megan, Phillip and I didn't really have time to truly grasp the magnitude of what we were doing and before we knew it, with no time for second guessing or mind changing, we were living in England and our lives had done a complete 180 degree turn.
Admittedly we have kept ourselves exceptionally busy, another must I believe, and there hasn't really been time for looking back or regretting the move - find your pull and focus on it.....in Simon's case it was his job, in my case it was the children's future which I still believe is more secure on this side of the ocean, and we are coping......there are hard and lonely times, but we are coping and growing together as a family every day. For those of you planning the move here, Australia, NZ or the midlands, keep looking forward, and if you need to look back make it for as short a time as possible......no one can take away your roots, but look to the branches, they are your future.
On that extremely philosophical note let me tell you about my evening....as I mentioned a couple of days ago, Kerry (ex South African) and I met for coffee and she kindly included me in her "Pamper Chef" party which was held last night...can't tell you how lovely it was to be out and have a laugh with a group of women, they all made me feel exceptionally welcome and that is one thing I have to say for the British, they are generally very warm friendly people and Si and I haven't found it particularly hard to find people to talk to.
Rob (Kerry's husband) invited us round for lunch on Sunday and we are again looking forward to spending some time with this lovely couple - it is great to share the same (slightly off the wall) South African sense of humour and spend time with people who know and understand our country.....otherwise conversation tends to be about South Africa and what made us leave and I must admit I find myself sounding quite negative which is not my intention, it is just hard to explain electric fences, security gates and burglar alarms and still sound positive (lol), so any suggestions would be most welcome - I want to be an ambassador for SA, not a assassin.
No comments:
Post a Comment