Wednesday, 13 August 2008

Wednesday 13th August 2008

Every now and then I have an experience in this country which really re-enforces my already high opinion, and makes me realise again what a very civilised and organised country this actually is.....this morning I had an appointment at the registrars office in Haywards Heath at 10h30 to register Nicholas's birth.

I arrived at 10h28 and was ushered straight into an office (no queues AT ALL) with one of the nicest ladies I have encountered here, she was helpful, articulate and efficient and at the end of my 20 minute appointment I walked away with both Nicholas's abridged and long birth certificates in my hand, no waiting, no frustration, and all for the sum of £3.50.

Another exciting development is that it would seem that due to the fact that Simon and I are resident in this country until at least 2013, Nicholas is automatically a British citizen and I will be applying for his passport later in the month....if that goes through without a hitch it will be a huge bonus especially as I had visions of once again having to deal with South African Home Affairs to sort out passports etc before our visit in April.

From there the day just kept getting better and Nicholas was finally given the all clear at our hospital appointment this afternoon, his billyruben levels have finally started to drop on their own and the doctors are prepared to sign him off as totally healthy and he no longer has to visit them for follow up appointments. This has to be the best news yet, and it was with great relief that I left the SCBU for the final time, I must admit I was a bit sad to say goodbye to some of the nursing staff but will be absolutely delighted if I never have to see them again.

Megan and Phillip spent a lovely day with Kerry and her children and would you believe that Phillip left his new trainers in the park and when we went back to look for them 4 hours later, they were still there......yet another reason to celebrate our move.

4 comments:

mary said...

SO HAPPY TO HEAR THAT ALL IS WELL WITH NICHOLAS.WHAT A PLEASURE IT MUST HAVE BEEN NOT TO HAVE TO STAND & WAIT IN A QUEUE FOR HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE.HOPE APPLYING FOR HIS PASSPORT WILL GO OFF JUST AS SMOOTHLY.TAKE CARE & GOD BLESS. MARY

Michelle Ramsay said...

Congratulations with the birth of Nicholas - can't remember if I did this previously.

Wonderful to receive such great service. Glad he can get a British passport as well - will certainly make things easier for you.

Keep well and hoep you don't have too many sleepless nights.

Tracy Schimper said...

Hello my friend, my life is settling down to some form of normality (if there is such a thing!) so i'll be able to keep up with everyones blogs again. Glad to hear about Nicholas' British Passport. Beryldene and i queued at Dept of Home Affairs yesterday to apply for replacement id's cause mine was in my car when it was stolen. Talk about "polishing seats!"

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you are all home for good, that is great news, enjoy it. Before you know it he will be 9 months old, Chloe will be on the 20th Aug, how scary!!!