I am finally back after a long absence which I will get to the details of shortly, but in the interest in keeping an accurate account of our time here, I need to capture the details of our wonderful weekend with the Andrew family in Weston-Super-Mare first.
At 3pm on Friday Megan, Phillip, “Aunty Madge” (the SatNav system) and I set off to collect Simon from work in Reigate so that we could head off for Weston-Super-Mare and our special friends Cayne, Linda, Caylin and Jordan. We really never learn and although it only took me 45 minutes to get near to London and fetch Simon, the estimated 2.5 hour trip turned into a 4.5 hour trip thanks to, yes you guessed it, LONDON TRAFFIC.
We finally arrived a little hungry, but other then that no worse for wear and after a Macdonald’s Burger (yes we are eating a hell of a lot of those at the moment) and a long glass of cold lemonade we felt infinitely refreshed. Kids went to bed early and Linda and I sat in her lovely cozy lounge and chatted until nearly 1am while Simon and Cayne wrapped in blankies sat outside under the starts and caught up….what a perfect end to the day…words cannot begin to describe the comfort of again being with good friends and just allowing yourself to relax totally.
Saturday morning allowed for a lovely sleep in and I finally appeared downstairs a little after 09h00 to the smell of bacon and eggs and a lovely English breakfast…Linda and Cayne really spoilt us rotten and the pregnant fairy wasn’t allowed to do anything but sit and chat and relax and let me tell you it was exactly what I needed – I am absolutely huge at this stage and don’t know what I am going to look like by the time this baby finally puts in an appearance in roughly 5 weeks time.
After breakfast we left the Andrew’s delightful home and headed down to the beach and the heli-day which was being held on the beach front…the children (and secretly I think the dad’s as well) enjoyed seeing the helicopters and having the opportunity to climb around inside them, but soon the draw of the perfect weather and the sandy beach was too much and we made our way onto the sand, where again Lin and I were able to just sit and chill while Simon and Cayne took the children down to play in the water. Now please understand that while Weston-Super-Mare is by far the best beach we have been on so far, it still has no waves so is a lot like swimming in a large dam or lake.





After about an hour of total down time, Cayne and I decided to take a walk up the beach with Caylin and go and see what was on offer…it also gave me the perfect excuse to stretch my legs and relieve the pressure of the bump. As soon as we got to the other side of the beach I was enchanted by the horse and cart and donkey rides and before long Cayne was jogging back to fetch the others. Needless to say the remainder of the day passed in a happy blur with rides for the children and soccer on the beach and hot salt and vinegar chips for lunch…simply perfect!





Just before home time, Lin and I took the children down to the low tide line (Weston has the second highest tide line in the country) to experience the famous Weston-Super-Mud and I have to confess even I enjoyed squelching my toes and a couple of times was tempted to just lie down and wallow – now for a mud-a-phobic like me this is extremely unusual, but maybe looking like a hippo makes us want to act like one (lol). Eventually the temptation was too much and Simon joined us agreeing to take the children even further out, with that Lin and I returned to our deck chairs to wait, and what a sight we had when the children came back…..only precious Caylin had resisted the urge to wallow, but as for the other three, well need I say more.




Sunday morning was Simon’s turn for a short sleep in and once he eventually surfaced him and Cayne took the children down to the beach again for a short swim and Lin and I headed for the shops. I have never been to an ASDA before and was very happy to just browse around while Lin organized the lunch. On our way home Lin took me into a wonderful soft furnishings shop and I was like a child in a candy shop, we just don’t get these kind of home décor stores in Haywards Heath and it wasn’t long before I had a lovely mirror for my wall, two pictures and a “treasure box” which I just had to own because it reminded me of Beryldene under my arm.
My wonderful, understanding dh didn’t have a heart attack when I returned and although Lin and I had planned for her to return the items if he did, he was very cool and allowed them all to be packed in the back of the bus to make the journey home (must be all the sun and sea air lol).
After a lovely lunch of hotdogs and fresh fruit eaten in Linda’s charming sunny dining room it was a quick lesson for Lin on how to make her blog work and then off for a final visit to the park for the children to run off some energy before our long trip home. Ice creams in the park ended another perfect day and it was finally time to leave…only this time, Simon had programmed “Aunty Madge” to take us home by an alternative route which although a bit more windy missed out going anywhere near London and 4 hours later we were back at our home a lot less stressed and tired then we have been on previous returns.


At 23h30 I was unexpectedly awoken by a rush of fluid between my legs, and knowing that I am not, as yet, incontinent (lol), quickly realized that it was my water’s breaking. Although this was a very scary feeling (considering the fact that the baby was not due for another 4+ weeks), I very calmly (if I must say so myself) woke Simon, told him how to contact the hospital, and made arrangements for me to go in for a check up. At 01h00 it was confirmed that my waters had in fact broken and that I was running a low grade fever of around 37.6 degrees so I was admitted to hospital for observation, and my poor dh who had been sitting in the car while the children slept was finally able to go home and get some sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment