Today was one of great sadness and tragedy, I received word from Linda this morning that Tracy’s dad in South Africa was very ill and had been admitted into hospital where he had undergone brain surgery….suddenly the distance between Haywards Heath and Hillcrest had never seemed greater and I longed to be able to reach out to my friend and hold her and give her the love and strength that I know she so desperately needs right now.
Unfortunately Tracy’s dad lost his battle and passed away this afternoon and I have never felt so desperate at being away, it is probably the hardest moment I have encountered throughout this emigration process as it suddenly and starkly became clear that no matter what happens back in SA we have so little influence over it and life goes on there in all its beauty and ugliness and those of us who have left will never again be a part of it. I have to admit it also made me confront my own parents mortality and the fact that I may not be able to be there if either of them get sick and that was enough to tip the balance and make today possibly the worst I have experienced in the UK so far.
No comments:
Post a Comment