On my return from the doctors this morning (yes I got an appointment....diagnosis Pharyngitis and antibiotics) I found myself sitting quietly in the car outside our home for a few moments enjoying the peep through of sunshine and the warmer weather (9 degrees today). While sitting I found myself staring at my hands - hands that are finally starting to show their age.....becoming my mothers hands. I remember my mom always saying that about her hands and until today never understanding what she meant.
As I looked at my hands I started to think about my life to date...I am 35 years old and if I am lucky just on half way through my life and I honestly believe that I am one of the lucky ones. I don't have many (if any) regrets and I have had wonderful opportunities and been blessed with wonderful people throughout my life. If I could go back and start again, I don't think I would change a single thing, I would walk exactly the same path with exactly the same people and that is really remarkable and I am eternally grateful......I feel that I have been able to live a truly "charmed" life.
Turning my hands over I think of all the things they have done and achieved....not great acts perhaps like some....but loving acts and acts I hope of kindness, they have cared for and held my 3 precious children, caressed and loved my wonderful husband, touched others with sympathy and shown solidarity in times of hardship....they have celebrated through clapping and shown joy at the simple things, they have picked beautiful flowers, touched a cheetah and stroked the face of an African elephant....they have been held together in prayer and fear, each moment marking a memory. My prayer then is that the next 35 years will pass as the first have, that I will get to touch my grandchildren one day with these same hands and perhaps make a difference if a few more lives.
5 comments:
wow - not much silences me - that did it
Ditto, you write so beautifully Andrea and your children are very lucky indeed.
Those same hands that you commented on at the beginning of your musings are wiping away the tears as they stream down my face at this moment. That was beautifully written and I found it very moving and wonderful that you dont have any regrets...that is surely every parents dream for their children
To my dear friend.Got a lump in my throat when reading your musings.Every word you wrote is so true.Your Jill & Tim can be so proud of their daughter.
I am so blessed to have a friend like you.You were always here when i needed a shoulder to cry on, someone to talk to or to get some honest advice.You never tried to make things easy for me,you were honest & i was so grateful for that.
I miss you very much my friend & will never have another one like you. Your children are so blessed to have a wonderful woman like you as a mother.You too,can be proud of yourself.
Love you lots, Mary
Wow - that calls for a layout I say!
Post a Comment