During my first month in England I remember detailing a shop that I had done for around £50 .....well prices have either gone up or we are eating more as an average week now costs me around £80.....although we have added Nick to the equation so that may also be it.
- 12 pints (+-6l) fresh milk (Philly is like a little calf and drinks huge amounts of milk)
- 1 x bag (32) disposal biodegradable nappies
- 1 x box (5) Caprisun orange juice sachets
- 1 x packet (80) wetwipes
- 1 x bag frozen corn on the cob
- 1 x bag frozen peas
- 1 x 750 g All Bran Flakes
- 2 x Juice concentrate
- 3 x small jars baby food (kept for emergencies....I make most of Nick's food myself)
- 1 x 5kg bag potatoes
- 3 x yogurt's
- 12 x small probiotic yogisips
- 1 x butter
- 6 x fromage frais (similar to yogurt but more calcium for Nick)
- 2 x small packets fruit and yogurt flakes (for Meg's lunch box)
- 1 x Twirl chocolate (my reward for shopping :-)
- 1 x cereal bars (for lunch boxes)
- 1 x packet of 8 sausages
- 1 x packet diced bacon
- 1 x packet beef casserole meat
- 2 x packets breaded chicken goujons (like crumbed chicken strips only done for you)
- 1 x box bread crumbs
- 2 x packets loin pork chops (3 in each packet)
- 1 x deboned chicken breasts
- 1 x box of 16 laughing cow cheeses (for Phil's lunch box)
- 4 x loaves white bread
- 2 x lurpak spreadable butter
- 1 x bag of 20 small packets of crisps (for lunch boxes and snacking)
- 6 x hot cross buns (another treat for doing the shopping:-)
- 2 x loose parsnips
- 1 x cauliflowers
- 1 x bag pink ladies apples (from SA I might add)
- 1 x punnet mushrooms
- 2 x bags clementines
- 1 x broccoli
- 1 x fresh garlic
1 x packet fresh carrots
1 x Swartz Beef Casserole sauce. - 1 x swede (although what the hell I am supposed to do with it I am not sure...gonna try steaming)
And that is the family fed and kept perfectly happy for the week....List obviously varies from week to week depending on what we are running low on, but I would honestly say food shouldn't cost you more then £380 - £400 a month as we eat exceptionally well and I really don't price hunt too much I know what I like and I buy it - you can reduce this amount considerably if you buy "no name" or "shops own" brands and drive around between the discounted stores.
We have also found the food to be exceptionally good here and I am not sure where the stories about the shocking meat come from as we are in love with the pork and both the lamb and beef are of superior quality.....to be honest, we are buying "expensive" meat, but it is no more expensive then buying your meat from Spa or Pick n Pay....if I wanted to buy Checkers priced meat it is also available, but then I am sure I would be getting a slightly lower quality. As long as you eat in and avoid restaurants and take aways food in this country really isn't horrifically expensive.
6 comments:
LOL - Our lists are very similar. I just can't stay away from all the fruit so I spend an additional £15 a week on fruit.
Online shopping darling - delivered at the front door - I won't do it any other way(especially not in winter with a baby). the rain is just too much for me.
Oh - and Happy Anniversary to mum and dad.
Well done!
our lists are very similar - how much do you budget for cleaning stuff and the extras like toilet rolls and tomatoe sause mayo jams and spreads? oil and spices - once a month you would need to replace those i am sure?
we spend around 70 a week with no baby so thats about right - having two kids and two adults in our home - we also eat very wella nd ahve a house full of food with plenty treats for everyone - i must say though - we spend a fortune on fruit - as we all adore it and the girls can eat anywhere up to 4 a day !
what about getting your food delivered? while baby is little and weather yukky - summer will be awesome to go do night shopping again - or go out at night while everyone is asleep....i suggest home delivery for you
we have sure adapted well to this new WORLD we are in - EVERYTHING is very different - and we LOVE IT!!!!
Thanks for that - very interesting! It sounds cheap to me (compared to SA0 as things have gone up AGAIN here ;-( & I spend more but then there are 6 of us. Thanks too for adding me onto your blog roll. Mine reverted to my unupdated one when I reinstalled my blog so will have to fis it this weekend. You'll be on it for sure. I've always wanted to live in England but the weather???? The "bad" weather your dad spoke of today was 20degrees,lol! I actually love it when it raind here in KZN cos it takes the edge off the humidity...
Really good to hear that you are living well & I found that interesting. LOL now I am going to check what my shopping costs its really good to compare. My NZ family have also sent me some costs & its really good to get a feel of this. When I do shopping in the UK with my brother he always complains I buy too much(but the variety just blows me away I love it)LOL & my SIL just laughs as they spend about 40pounds a week but that includes beer & wine & there are only 2 of them. When my brother moved back to the UK (his grown up children were already there)he also found the work very frustrating because he couldn't "think freely" & do it was always just "what you have to do" so I could understand simon on that point. But he has after 10 years got used to it.
It all sounds pretty reasonable to me in fact I think I spend more in SA
Post a Comment