I awoke this morning to a day not unlike what I have always imagined an English winter to be....cold, grey, wet and utterly dismal.....having been sick in bed all weekend with a very sore throat and dry cough I can't say I was delighted with this turn of events especially as I had to have Nic up and out of the house by 9am in order to take Phillip and a group of his classmates on an outing - but then at least the rain meant no frost to chip off the car, so that was some consolation (the novelty of de-icing my car every time I want to go out is wearing very thin).
Having returned from dropping children I decided that the time had perhaps come for me to make an appointment to see my doctor, and this was when the reality of NHS medical suddenly set in....it seemed that as I was not under the age of 16 or over the age of 60, did not have a temperature and had not been vomiting for the last 48 hours and do not have any underlying diseases and had called in after 9am I did not qualify for an appointment today and have been advised to call again tomorrow at 8am to see what they can do to help me.....to be fair I could probably have seen one of the other doctors at the practice, but as I have never been into doctor hopping I have decided to take my chances in the morning.
Now as I sat at my computer muttering about the ridiculousness of my situation I happened upon the three other Bratz and it was during a wonderful catch up skype session with them that the Universe once again reminded me to count my blessings. When Bee mentioned how much she had just had to spend to get her gardener some medical attention this morning....suddenly my FREE doctors appointment seemed rather wonderful, even if I do have to wait for it, and I am now happily coughing myself through the next 24 hours sucking ice lolly's to soothe my throat until I can get an appointment.
Off to baby rhyme time and our regular cup of coffee at Cafe Rouge tomorrow and then not a lot on for the rest of the week - probably not a bad thing considering the state of my health at the moment.
6 comments:
oh shame my friend - hate hearing you ill - i must say the NHS is crazy and does boggle the mind - their logic is scary !!! but hey it is free in a way and very expensive in another if you work out how much taxes simon payes in order to qualify for free docs etc etc -what i do is call at 8.30 am on the dot or i go there and make an appointment - guarantee of one on the same day. i think you may HAVE to get used to other doctors - as on NHS you cant have a private favourite ever at all - you need to be flexi - they can change their rosta when and if they feel like it - so go see others - i bet you will ADORE them all
getting yourself better is very important for the entire family
HOpe you feel better soon.
I used to hate dragging baby out in the early morning cold rain!
I know every county is different but I usually ask to see the duty nurse (you don't have to be dying to see her/him) but still....always exaggerate your condition - cough cough sniff sneeze...
xx
i also see the duty nurse they can prescribe antibiotics and if you kind of know your condition why see a doc - the nurse is just as good - and usually available
so sorry to hear you are not doing tooo well.hope you feel better soon.i normally take a disprin in warm water & that seems to help me with my sore throat.
take care of yourself.
love & kisses, Mary
Sorry to hear you are not doing well!!
Maybe this will make you feel better? I am doing some filing of documents that medical aid refused to pay:
R1072 for medication
About R2500 for anaesthetist
About R5000 for ENT
And this is on top of over R1300 a month..
NHS not too bad after all!
Post a Comment