The NHS certainly is a miracle.....I know it isn't really free as we certainly pay enough in National Insurance, but it was so nice this morning to walk into a dentist and have two x-rays and not have to pay a cent - now this is not normally the case with the NHS and dentistry but until Nicholas is 1 year old I qualify for free treatment, so intend to have all my problems sorted in the next 10 months on the British government.
After the dentist I headed for school and a church service to celebrate our 150th anniversary and to my surprise it was quite low key - I was expecting something much grander, but no, 150 years really isn't that much here and the school is actually still quite young, so just a church service and a small tea with each of the children being given a commemorative mug and that was it....small, but lovely.
The church service was very special, and to my utter amazement, my boy was one of the readers and stood up as proud as punch to "perform" in front of so many people, even his teacher commented on it later in the day....he really is managing so much better this academic year. Home with Phillip and a friend Adam for the afternoon and while I had a lovely skype chat with Lin the boys played beautifully and it was such a relief to have a boy play date that didn't descend into chaos.
Every now and then something happens which makes me realise just how grown up Megan has become since arriving in this country, and this afternoon was just such an example....the standard practise here for a play date is to ensure that the visiting child is given tea (dinner) before they are returned home, now as we eat so much later in the day I have fallen into the practise of quickly putting a pizza in at about 5pm and then at least the child has had something before his/her mom fetches them.
This is where my Megs comes into it....unfortunately I found myself all out of pizza bases and as you will remember any kind of shopping whatsoever with a baby and pram is a mission, so today I simply stopped outside Tesco's express and sent Megan in to purchase the pizza bases while I waited for her in the car, and she managed so well. Then at the end of the day when it was time to take Phillip up to Beaver's, Megan elected to stay at home alone (at dusk) to wait for her dad while I took Phillip to Scaynes Hill....and I felt totally confident leaving her, our neighbour is close by in the event of an emergency, but it was still quite something for her to stay home alone in an unsecured environment, but she is so responsible that it really isn't an issue.
3 comments:
Hello again.... Taryn was SIX when she was left alone quite happily (IN THE UK OF COURSE) on our return I have encouraged the same although when I leave them I am off to the PnPay which is LITERALLY around the corner..... hee hee..... but seriously, coming from SA it is SUCH an expression of freedom overseas that many of us here would'nt even consider.....
Loads of love
Ronda
what a shock to read that you actually left Megan alone @ home.You would never have done that if you were still living here in S.A.She must have been chuffed & proud of herself.I definately am.
Am thrilled that everything is working out so well for your whole family.I definately feel that the move to England was the best thing for you.Although I miss you more than you will ever know,I am happy for you guys.Lotsa love Mary
Yes, it is quite a big step when you can leave your children at home alone. It certainly gives you a little more freedom.
Glad you are all settling in so nicely.
Post a Comment