Sunday, 5 October 2008

Sunday 5th October 2008

My word, but when we are lazy in this country we are soooo lazy, the weather is very conducive to long days indoors snuggled under the blankets watching tv, and that is exactly what we have done today.

Si and I only woke up after 9.30 and then I spent a very happy hour chatting first to Tanya and then Linda on the phone, gotta love my dh and his "talk in the Uk for free" phone package. Simon's famous pancakes for breakfast and wonderful tuna mayonnaise sandwiches with Cross and Blackwell Tangy Mayonnaise (purchased from the South African shop) for lunch.

The lovely thing about days like today is that it really gives you time to reflect and I confess to my mind wondering while I sat scrapping and reliving some of our wonderful memories here. In keeping with my gratitude entry a couple of days ago, I have decided to add a little something to my blog and I would love those of you who read it to join in. I first saw this idea done in a movie with Bruce Willis and Michelle Pfiffer (the name of which currently escapes me, along with the spelling of Pfiffer), and it is something that we have included on an ad hoc basis around our family table for years, and I know it is a practise carried out by the Andrew family and I think the Stemps also do some kind of version of it.

Basically it is recording your day's highs and lows and giving the family time to reflect on the joys and commiserate or help with the pains....anyway, my idea....every Sunday I am going to try and include my weeks highs and lows just as a record of some of the stuff we are going through.

High - Visiting Clinic and hearing that Nicholas has again gained weight and is reaching his milestones in keeping with his actual age rather than his corrected age.

Low - Dealing with some issues that Phil is experiencing with bully's. There is a little boy in his class who is making his life very difficult and it has reached the point where Phil doesn't even want a party for fear of it being called rubbish by this child. Needless to say I have had a word with the school and hopefully next weeks high will be about how Phil is doing so much better at school, so holding thumbs.

7 comments:

linda andrew said...

ok me first..............

my low this week - having a car accident that cost me my car - as it is a total scarp heap

my high this week - being able to say we are all fine and safe and just have wiplash! so luck my other high is that we have been blessed with a free car!!!!

linda andrew said...

oops i meant scrap heap....

Jannine H said...

High for the Houghton family this week is that we cleared out the children’s playroom that had become quite scary. All the toys and gadgets they no longer play with have been donated to places where they will be used again. Another high is that my brother came to stay overnight (from Johannesburg) and took my son Ben for an early morning canoe paddle at Vetchies Pier. Ben was delighted. I also had tea with my friend Shona , who is here on a visit from Jakarta.

Must have been a good week, because the worst I can think of for a “low “ is that the children’s holiday is over and they are back to school tomorrow.

Michelle Ramsay said...

Bullies can really make life difficult and I hope all gets sorted out.

My high this week was being able to scrap on Saturday while Dereck was at rugby and again with my 2 best friends, all day on Sunday!

Low - having a pinched nerve that is making me dizzy every now and then. Need to see a Physio today.

Other than that, looking forward to seeing SMOKIE playing at the ICC on Tuesday.

mary said...

hi there.don't really have any highs as I have got my stepdaughter visiting for two weeks & she stole some money from my purse last week.

To top that, she is addicted to sinutab & adco-dol tablets & even though i have told her dad he hasn't said or done anything about it.She lies continously & i cannot handle it anymore.Have been taken tablets so as not to get into an argument,as we always do when she comes to visit.

My high for today was reading that you guys were thinking about me on Sunday when you had pancakes.I miss that so much.

Another high is that I am back at aqua,in the rain & cold.

Thank God i only have to put up with the lies, etc till Saturday morning.

Lotsa luv Mary

Jo said...

Great idea.

Sorry to hear about the bully, my son was bullied for a year at school here in SA by wait for it a gang of girls!!

Beryldene said...

Hey And's..

My high this week....watching my son and husband pay the most wonderful tribute to Granny and Mom respectively, at her funeral, which was everything she would have wanted it to be...a celebration of her life, and her gifts and blessings.

My low this week....the odd moments when it dawns on you that death is so final, and that our children will never again share the special times they did with their Aya.

Love Bee