It never ceases to amaze me how you can totally uproot your life in one country and "replant" in another and within a couple of months it is life as usual and all the newness and scariness has warn off and the comfort zone starts to develop....I am delighted to say that that is where we are now, yes we (or at least I) have our hard days where we miss South Africa terribly, but we pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off and go forward.
Yesterday was spent on the couch, literally, my little Nicholas was having a "won't sleep anywhere but on mommy" day and I spent the entire morning watching reruns of the Gilmore Girls and the OC, lovely for the rest factor, but awful for the housecleaning - it was so bad that I only just managed to make it out of my pj's in time for the plumbers visit at 12.30.
Had a wonderful long chat with my dad, it was great to chat about our beloved animals, I do believe that our move has been as good for them as it has for us and they are blissfully happy living in the paradise that is my parents house - such a relief as those of you who went through the planning stages of this trip with me know the absolute desperation I felt at having to put them down. Spent a contented afternoon with the girls from my NCT class and then home to homework and dinner and all those things that happen in households all over the world.
Today was a little bit more interesting, started off with bathing Nicholas in the basin in our bathroom as I didn't have time to go through the palaver of getting his baby bath set up and all that that entails - needless to say he is a wee bit big for that now and I think I will be trying the kitchen sink next time I have to do it in a hurry....more water in the bathroom floor then in the basin - imagine what the neighbours will have to say about those "odd South Africans" when they walk past my kitchen window and see me with the baby in the sink....need to do it just to see the reaction!
After bath time it was off to our second appointment with the osteopath and I have to say this has been a resounding success....it is not so much that Nicholas is sleeping better at night (think that has more to do with the fact that he is sleeping in my bed then with his treatment), but it is just that he seems so much more comfortable in his neck and is holding it up nice and firmly and seems happy to lie on just about any surface (as long as he has company....being alone is definitely not his fav pass time).
Went shopping for Phil's birthday present (he turns 8 on Friday) after the appointment and had a lovely two hours strolling around Haywards Heath, and although I didn't come home with a single present for Phillip (am going to have to visit Argos for that tomorrow), I managed to find myself the most stunning all purpose anorak/jacket in the Heart Foundation charity shop which I picked up for the princely sum of £7.
The charity shops are another institution here that I am still getting used to, if you had told me in South Africa to go to a charity shop to buy my winter coat I would have looked at you as though you were totally mad....but here it is the way to go....the clothing is in stunning condition and generally some kind of label - the very wealthy here buy a coat for a season, get bored with it after wearing it twice and donate it to a charity, the one I bought today still had the tags on, and let me promise you it didn't cost 7 quid the first time round.
2 comments:
He is just gorgeous. If we come to live in England we will be bringing our dogs with us, do you think it is a problem?
i remember how traumatic it was for you when you thought that you would have to put your dogs down.was thrilled when you later told me that your folks had taken them both on,together with your cat.am sure they are very happy & get spoilt.
Glad to hear that things are all well with Nicholas.Does he sleep with you guys in your bed every night or only sometimes?
Miss you guys lots, Mary
Post a Comment