Wednesday, 8 October 2008

Wednesday 8th October 2008

It is 5pm here, and the house is surprisingly quiet....Megan and Phillip are out playing on the common with Megan's friend Sophie and Nicholas is dosing on the bean bag in the lounge, so I am taking this opportunity to jump onto the blog for an update.

Had a lovely morning at NCT again today....I really enjoy spending time with these 5 girls and feel a little bit sad that the course only has another two weeks to go. I have no doubt that we will continue to meet until the others return to work in January, but I have found the course content so worthwhile (on top of the social side) that I shall miss our workshops immensely.

I must admit to having quiet smile to myself today as well...when I arrived there 4 weeks ago, Nicholas was the only baby sucking a dummy and it was certainly a little bit frowned upon as dummies aren't nearly as widely used here as they are in South Africa...I continued to sooth him with his dummy through the last couple of weeks while some of the other moms paced up and down rocking and hushing and getting flustered while watching me enviously.

Finally last week one of the girls asked me if I wasn't worried that Nicholas would never give up his dummy, to which I replied that it was unlikely he would walk down the isle sucking one, and if a child is going to need a comforter when he or she is 4 it will find something, and if not a dummy then a bear or a blankie or a thumb, so it is not the dummy that is in fact the problem.....and then today, all 4 babies where sucking dummies (lol) so maybe this third time mom does know a thing or two.

Shopping at Tescos was another success and I returned home feeling rather triumphant - makes such a difference when there is mother and child parking right outside the door and it is treated with the same regard as disabled parking by the other shoppers, so there is always a bay free and they are extra large parkings to allow for easy manouvering of prams etc - what joy!!!!!

Nicholas is also much better today and has responded to the osteopathic treatment quite remarkably, he is now sleeping equally comfortably with his head to the left and we had a wonderful nights sleep last night with him only waking twice, once at 1am and once at 5am so if that carries on I am definitely not complaining. Megan and Phillip out to dinner tonight with Tasha and Murray so a quiet one in for Simon and I, and as I have dinner cooked already (thanks to shwartz) should be as lovely a stress free evening as it has been day.

3 comments:

Michelle Ramsay said...

What a pleasure to go shopping with a baby and be able to get parking so close - SA should think of something like that too!! nice try hey!!!!

Glad Nicholas is responding and settling down.

Hope you enjoyed your evening.

mary said...

you are blessed that the parking bays there are not misused.Our parking bays for both moms as well as the disabled is a joke.The car guards as only to keen to allow anybody to use these parkings bay & don't worry about the people who really need it.

On more than one occassion I have had to park quite a distance from the shopping centre & walk.As you know,i can't walk too far due t my disability but what can one do.I refuse point blank to tip the car guards as they have no respect.

Am thrilled to hear that Nicholas is sleeping much better.Your mom told me that he sleeps so nice on the bean bag.

Enjoy you evening alone with Simon.All couples need a break once in a while (even though they have children).Lotsa luv Mary

Jo said...

LOL on the dummy issue, I am also a dummy Mum.