Wednesday, 29 October 2008

Monday 27th October 2008

Margie, Fergus and Devan arrived this morning and it was so lovely to see friends from South Africa....first port of call was the South African shop in Uckfield where we stocked up on Biltong and Boerewors and then the mad South Africans decided that despite the fact that the temp was forecast to be 4 degrees they weren't going to settle for a nice warm English casserole for dinner, oh no...they wanted to BRAAI.

Kerry, Rob and their children joined us and armed with torches (sun sets around 6pm now) and very warm jackets the braai began...I am delighted to say I had Nick as an excuse and wasn't expected to brave the freezing conditions and Kerry and I sat in a much more civilised lounge while the other hooligans enjoyed the fire outside. Even though I was one of the ones voting for the casserole (am becoming more English by the minute) I am very glad they ignored me....lamb chops and boerewors on the braai with potato salad made with Cross and Blackwell Mayo....simply to DIE for and my mouth is watering again just thinking about it.

After dinner a game of Cranium on my lounge floor which is always good for a laugh, and for a moment I almost forgot how far away we are from home....it was almost like "old times" - a different cast, but much laughter and merriment and a very very welcome and much needed evening.

2 comments:

Michelle Ramsay said...

Having friends around, no matter where you are, is always great and brings back lots of great memories. At least it wasn't too freezing not to be able to stand outside!!

Glad you all had such a great time.

mary said...

HI THERE MY FRIEND.LOOKS LIKE ALL HAD A GOOD TIME WITH THE CHANGE OF MENU.AM SURE THE CASSEROLE WOULD HAVE BEEN JUST AS GOOD BUT COULD BE KEPT FOR ANOTHER DAY.DON'T BLAME YOU FOR NOT WANTING TO STAND OUTSIDE IN THE FREEZING COLD WEATHER.

THANK GOD FOR THE GENTLEMAN/MEN WHO MADE THE BRAAI.IT LOOKED ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS. MARY