Tuesday, 1 July 2008

What I am grateful for..........

Had a doctors appointment this morning for baby check (still can't get over this not having to pay for medical) and as it is simply the most glorious morning I decided to walk into town rather than take "Aunty Madge" otherwise known as the bus. It was on the walk back, while eating a chocolate and enjoying the sun, that I decided today's entry won't be about what I am doing.......ironing (lol), but rather about what I am grateful for now that we have been in England for 5 weeks.

I am grateful

......to my parents for letting us go. This may sound like a bit of a strange statement, but it is only due to the fact that my parents have made our leaving as easy as possible and have put their own feelings to one side for the betterment of Simon, myself and the children that I have been able to take this huge step and effectively limit the amount of time they have with their grandchildren - we have settled with their blessing and no baggage and that is huge.

......for the fact that medical in this country is free. Even having had medical aid in South Africa, which I know many people are not fortunate enough to have, we are still paying off the shortfall on my gall bladder operation, and what of this pregnancy?

.........for my children's free education and medicine until they are 16 - how wonderful to live in a country where the decision whether or not to have more children is determined by how you want to live your life, and not by whether or not you can afford them.

.......to Simon for studying for all those years and for being our provider - I have seen how difficult this country can be with a shortage of money, and as officially the most expensive country in the world to live in it is only due to Simon that we have what we do.

.........for skype, without my close friends and family back home and daily contact with them, the isolation would be total, and somehow email just isn't the same.

........for the last 17 days of sunshine, England truly is magnificent when the weather is good and although I know the seasons will change, I will never forget our first summer here.

........for the fact that I can walk on the street on my own and know, not think, but know that I am safe.

.........for old friends reunited, being able to talk to Tanya again and finally see her home really is a blessing.

..........for the fact that my mom will be here in less then 2 months - not sure that I am going to let her go home again (lol), just wish Dad was coming to.

.......for new friends here and the people who take the time to stop and chat, just being in contact with a friendly voice makes all the difference.

.........for the housework....okay you can stop laughing now I am serious - firstly doing my own housework has made me appreciate Rose and the domestic workers in South Africa so much more, but more then that it has given me a sense of satisfaction which I have never felt before....my home is spotless because I made it so, not because someone else has done if for me, and for me who is certainly not a domestic goddess I am grateful for the experience.

........for the change in my husband and the fact that he loves his job, the relaxed Simon is back and the impact on the family is tremendous.

.......for free local calls - well not free exactly, Simon pays a monthly subscription which makes them free, but the fact that I can pick up the phone and speak to Lin whenever I need to and here her calming voice.

.........for my children's attitude and willingness to change - children truly are amazing and I am so very proud of mine, they really have met this challenge with amazing strength of character which has made the whole move so much easier.

........for the fact that this move was possible.

Now off to do that ironing.

No comments: