Monday, 7 July 2008

Monday 7th July 2008

Here I am bright and early....no really bright and early it is only 08h00 here and the children aren't even at school yet........but I have so much to tell that I am determined to get it all down before I forget.

Had an absolutely awesome weekend with Steve, Tanya and their beautiful boys in the little town on Whitley Bay near Newcastle in the north of England. Tanya's home is to die for and is a beautiful old Victorian home which she is gently bringing back to life, it really is the size of a South African home and consists of 5 bedrooms over 3 floors....as I say to die for, though in my case it would probably be from trying to keep it clean (lol), which she does remarkable well I must add.

Steve and Tanya welcomed us into their home and although at times the noise levels (with 4 children and wooden floors) left my head spinning, neither appeared to get annoyed or frustrated and Steve and Simon treated my oldest friend and I to loads of alone girl time so am feeling really regenerated and ready to take on the world again.

After a very early 04h00 start (as my dad said, only South African's and madmen out on the road at that time) we finally arrived in Whitley Bay about 6 hours later....the South / North trip here really isn't that different from the DBN / JHB trip in South Africa, complete with big "Ultracity" petrol stations and WIMPY - I found a Wimpy, but much to my disappointment, cheese burgers are served on brown rolls here and are somehow just not quite the same. Meg and Phil where absolutely amazing on the trip and I don't think they asked even once if we where there yet. Bur before I go on with the rest of the weekend I need to add some new "Firsts" for England that we experienced along the way.
First time I have seen a modern, electricity generating windmill - they are enormous and we had great fun trying to see who could spot them first....okay, okay, pretty lame, but it was a long trip and we had to keep the kids entertained some how.

First time I have used a toll road where you just throw your money in a little basket and drive through.....no exhausted looking toll booth attendants here - all very first world.....wonder what happens if you end up without change??????????could be a very expensive trip I would then imagine.

First time I have driven through a tunnel which actually takes you under the river - bit claustrophobic for me I have to confess, but I think it was more the thought that the entire Tyne River was flowing above my head then anything to do with the tunnel.

Anyhoo, after our 6 hour trip we finally arrived in Whitley Bay and spent a lovely afternoon catching up and just generally "chilling" at home - the men did take the children out for a stroll in the afternoon, but came home absolutely soaked to the bone as the heavens had opened and Simon soon discovered that South African raincoats don't work in England.....definitely next on our list of "important purchases".

Once the children were all in bed, Steve's daughter kindly offered to babysit and the adults took a slow stroll down to the beach (armed with my camera of course) and then on for dinner at a wonderful little Indian restaurant that Steve and Tanya visit often - well as those of you who know me well will know....Indian food and me are generally a no no as my innocent taste buds just can't handle the heat, BUT on Tanya's recommendation I tried the Chicken Corma, and the rest as they say is history - Oh my word, it was divine! Thoroughly enjoyed the evening and our first time without kids since we left South Africa.

Sunday dawned overcast and rainy, but Simon and Steve agreed to take the children to the local station flea market while Tanya and I headed for Newcastle and the draw of shops where I could actually spend less then 20 quid and come home with a whole bag of goodies....retail therapy and girlfriend therapy all rolled in to one....what more could a girl ask for and we whiled away a good couple of hours just enjoying spending time together and reminiscing over the last 22 years. Children also had an absolute ball as the first time since we have been in England that we caught a commuter train.

Time flew and before we knew it it was time to head back South, but not before literally loading "Auntie Madge aka the Bus" to the rafters with wonderful baby goodies - not only were Steve and Tanya generous with their time and hospitality, but also in setting Si and I up for the arrival of the bump and we literally only have to buy a campcot and we will be all set - we really really were spoilt and are incredibly grateful. Unfortunately (due to London Traffic) the trip home took an additional 1.5 hours and it was a very exhausted Robertson family which finally trooped into Lindfield at 10h30 on Sunday evening......exhausted but happy.

Now there is just one more first I need to add at this point....and I was so amazed when it happened that I actually considered phoning someone in South Africa just to explain to them what we were experiencing.

First time I have ever been led by a "traffic control" car for 20 miles (approx 40kms) down a freeway. Let me explain....and this is incredible and would so never happen in South Africa. The motorways (freeways) here all have huge electronic sign posts every 2 miles or so which let you know what is happening with traffic and roads up ahead, and the speed limits are variable depending on the road conditions...now, Si and I started to notice on one of the roads that the speed limit was decreasing from 70 miles per hour down to 50 miles per hour and the signs indicated that there would be an obstruction up ahead, next thing, this ambulance looking vehicle comes flying along the emergency lane and cuts into the traffic about 3 cars up ahead....you should have heard my dh language at this stage as he strongly voiced his opinion that the driver was going to cause an accident.....this however was clearly not the case, and it quickly became apparent that all the cars had slowed down and were remaining behind the car which was traveling at exactly 50 miles per hour.....just like the safety cars in Formula one racing, and that was the precise purpose of this car, to control the traffic speed until the obstruction up ahead had been cleared and the road was safe to travel on, and although the very presence of this vehicle was surprising, the fact that absolutely no one attempted to pass it, and all remained calmly in their lane was what totally blew us away - I mean can you even begin to imagine that happening with the taxis on the N3????????????

And that as they say is that - busy day planned today, have to sort through all our new treasures and finish unpacking ubags, wash the floors and vacuum and catch up with Friday's ironing but still be at school in time to lift children to a football tournament at 12h45....who ever said a housewife's job was easy (lol).

No comments: