Tuesday, 23 December 2008

Tuesday 23rd December 2008

As many of you know I have often used the song "Some days are diamonds and Some days are stone" to describe our life here and as I sit tonight, a couple of days before Christmas and look back over the past 7 months I am thrilled to realise that we have had more diamonds then stones and today was another one.

Megan and I enjoyed a lovely walk into the village this morning to finally post some last minute Christmas cards and buy a present for a birthday party she was off to this afternoon - it was good to have some girl time as we are now outnumbered in our house 3 to 2 and some times the testosterone levels get a little bit too high (lol).

Megs spent the afternoon at a horse riding party and it was such a stunning idea, the 8 children where all given a 1 hour riding lesson and it was fantastic. Megs is totally hooked and it is definitely something I would like to get her involved in some time next year - her little pony "Tammy" was an absolute delight and she was even cantering by the end of the hour.....took me back to happy times spent riding with my aunt on their farm, and I could see the same love of horses developing in her before my eyes.

I was also blessed enough to experience another first today, and what a first it turned out to be.....my friend Catherine is one of the luckiest people I know and she wins just about every raffle she enters, anyhoo, she had won tickets to see the Nutcracker in Brighton at our school fair and chose me to go along with her. Now an evening at the ballet would not necessarily have been my first choice but I went along - a first - and I am so glad that I did, it turned out to be in a very fancy theater in Brighton, and was performed by the St Pietersburg Ballet Company (direct from Russia for only 5 performances) which was something to behold. The costumes where out of this world and I sat totally entranced while the troupe performed in the most effortless way, literally appearing to float across the stage....breathtaking!

We caught the train in and then walked down to the theater (about 15 minutes) and I love Brighton during the day but oh WOW it is fantastic at night, so vibrant and busy...I made Catherine walk back up to the station once the show had finished just so that I could experience being out on the streets for a little bit longer (she is now totally convinced that I am a mad South African lol). Si spent the evening with Kerry and Rob as we have not managed to get Nic to take a bottle successfully and I think he was a bit worried he was going to have a screaming baby for 5 hours, but Kerry came to the rescue and "mommied" my littlest for me for the evening and it was a great success.....once again, don't know what I would do without the Viljoen family.

Don't think I am going to be able to sleep tonight, am on such a high from an AWESOME evening....loving my life!!!!!

2 comments:

Tracy Schimper said...

You lucky girls, sounds like you had a blast. Theatre, I absolutely LOVE IT, and definately don't go enough. The wonderful thing for you that makes me sooo jealous is that opportunities like that just don't come to SA, and when they do, they normally miss Durbs! The last line of your post made me smile, with Christmas tomorrow, I thought your post was going to be about missing your family, especialy seeing as Linnie is getting to spend Christmas with hers. I'm proud of you, you've really embrassed your situation and clearly are making the most of it. Love you lots. T
(PS: while I was at B's i found her chalkboard which used to be in her kitchen and on it was written (from last year) 22nd Christmas & Craniun at the Robertsons house - brings back wonderful memories XOXOXOX

Ally said...

Hello there-

Just read your blog from start to finish (took me a few days lol) and I have to say THANK YOU! I love your writing style, and its helping me to make my own move (joburg to london) go a bit easier! You have even inspired me to start my own blog. Its nothing impressive yet, but just a diary to be able to remember these things forever!

Thanks again, I look forward to your next post!