Friday, 19 December 2008

Friday 19th December 2008

I did it, I made my way all the way into London on the train and back without hitch and with Nick and I still in one piece.....now to those of you living in England, particularly the ones who have been here a while, that probably doesn't seem like such a big deal, but trust me to someone who only caught her first train a couple of months ago, it was AMAZING and I felt incredibly powerful and it is like I have unleashed a monster as I am already planning my next adventure.

Today has done a couple of things for me in fact.....(1) restored my faith in human kindness - as Si was at work, I had Nick, his stroller, a nappy bag (and we all know how BIG those are) and a bag of presents to get on and off trains and more specifically up and down flights of stairs at the stations, and every time someone offered to help me carry the pram thus making the trip so much easier and reminding me that nice people do still exist in the world.....(2) reminded me that I can do ANYTHING I set my mind to and do it successfully, again I know this probably sounds crazy, but for me going into a strange suburb of a strange city completely on my own was totally daunting and coming out the other side unscathed has restored my belief in myself.....(3) allowed me to enjoy the privilege of living in a relatively safe country, and I am NOT South Africa bashing, it is simply that I was able to walk 5kms return trip from Wandsworth Town Station to the Riverfront completely on my own, without feeling threatened at any time, and although I was careful and I did watch my back, at no time did I find myself in anything even resembling a dangerous situation......(4) cemented my belief that a satnav is something you just have to own, and it can be set to "walking directions", admittedly I did get a few strange looks from the locals as the satnav (strategically placed on the roof of Nick's pram) told me to "turn right in 300m" - Si made an interesting observation tonight, he said that at least if it had been stolen by an enterprising thief I would have heard it ask him to politely "turn round when possible" (lol)......(5) I am living a dream, this really hit me today perhaps more so then ever before, when I found myself strolling through London with an electric blue sky and icy weather and I felt totally and completely alive

After dropping the presents with the concierge at Andrew's apartment, I took a lovely stroll along the Thames and then fed Nicholas in Wandsworth Park which was first opened in 1903 - nothing like a bit of history to round off the day.

3 comments:

Jo said...

Unfortunately I cant say the same with my suitcase. I have taken 10 trains since I got here, all with my bag on wheels and only between stanstead and waterloo a guy offered to help me lift it up the stairs (he was staff). I have another 9 to catch before I leave so we will see. It also really surprises me how many staircases I was faced with and my 23kg bag! Normally I wouldnt notice, I feel sorry for people in wheelchairs.

Rhian Claire said...

well done! I know the feeling but it is so liberating being able to be free - NO disrespect to the land of my upbringing - SA - this is our second Christmas here after arriving on the 14th December last year and it is REALLY christmassy in comparison to last year - you sound like you are really settling - there are hard times if there weren't we would not appreciate just how much we have achieved! Keep it up - love the blog and you are an inspiration! BRILLIANT satnav idea - ME found my way around Cardiff the hard way but loved every minute of it and still love exploring Wales!

mary said...

by now you shud no that you can do anything you want.Nothing has or will ever stop you.It must have felt so good to be able to walk without looking over your shoulders & to be able to enjoy your outing.Miss you lots, Mary