Now that Christmas is actually here I have to say that it is not nearly as difficult as I thought it was going to be....I had a small melt down after speaking to my mom on Christmas Eve when the reality of what we were missing was very stark and a little more then I could manage - at that moment I decided that, apart from my parents, the only way to survive this first Christmas was to distance myself from all things South African for the next 48 hours...so for those of you who send texts and received no answer, it is because my mobile will be off until the morning of 27th December when Christmas is behind us and we are on our way to the new year.
Christmas eve was very different from what we are used to, dinner was a plate of saucy cheese and bacon chips (Megan's request) and then a walk down to Lindfield for Carols by Candlelight in one of the local churches....the service was lovely (even though we only recognised 2 of the carols) and a good reminder of what Christmas is all about - I like the children to be reminded that Christmas is about Jesus and not them, and although I want them to love their gifts and all the excitement it is also important to stop at times and celebrate our saviour. Once we returned home, I baked Si and I our traditional mince pies and we sat down to wrap presents before heading up to bed relatively early in anticipation of the dawn present unwrapping.
As expected the children where in our rooms bearing presents from Santa at a little after 6am and I am pleased to say that they were both delighted with their gifts and once again Santa had got it right. A brief conversation with my folks to wish them Happy Christmas before they left for the day at my Uncle and Aunt's farm and then it was downstairs for the rest of the unwrapping. For the first time this year I didn't bring out my camera and instead actually lived in the moment as opposed to just capturing it to document later, and I have to say it was great fun to be helping rip paper and put things together instead of just watching Simon do it through the lens. All the children (including Nicholas) seem very pleased with their presents and at around 7.30am Nic and I headed back upstairs for a little more sleep before leaving for Kerry and Rob's for lunch.
Lunch was perfect and this wonderful family opened up their home and their hearts to both the us and another South African couple here without family so that we could all have a happy day instead of sitting at home dwelling on what we have lost. Rob had decorated the cabin beautifully and the meal was out of this world....3 meats, 5 vegetables, roast potatoes to die for and 3 puddings including Peppermint Fridge Tart which was finished almost before it was put on the table......tasted just like home and it was wonderful to sit with other South African's and enjoy it.
Christmas eve was very different from what we are used to, dinner was a plate of saucy cheese and bacon chips (Megan's request) and then a walk down to Lindfield for Carols by Candlelight in one of the local churches....the service was lovely (even though we only recognised 2 of the carols) and a good reminder of what Christmas is all about - I like the children to be reminded that Christmas is about Jesus and not them, and although I want them to love their gifts and all the excitement it is also important to stop at times and celebrate our saviour. Once we returned home, I baked Si and I our traditional mince pies and we sat down to wrap presents before heading up to bed relatively early in anticipation of the dawn present unwrapping.
As expected the children where in our rooms bearing presents from Santa at a little after 6am and I am pleased to say that they were both delighted with their gifts and once again Santa had got it right. A brief conversation with my folks to wish them Happy Christmas before they left for the day at my Uncle and Aunt's farm and then it was downstairs for the rest of the unwrapping. For the first time this year I didn't bring out my camera and instead actually lived in the moment as opposed to just capturing it to document later, and I have to say it was great fun to be helping rip paper and put things together instead of just watching Simon do it through the lens. All the children (including Nicholas) seem very pleased with their presents and at around 7.30am Nic and I headed back upstairs for a little more sleep before leaving for Kerry and Rob's for lunch.
Lunch was perfect and this wonderful family opened up their home and their hearts to both the us and another South African couple here without family so that we could all have a happy day instead of sitting at home dwelling on what we have lost. Rob had decorated the cabin beautifully and the meal was out of this world....3 meats, 5 vegetables, roast potatoes to die for and 3 puddings including Peppermint Fridge Tart which was finished almost before it was put on the table......tasted just like home and it was wonderful to sit with other South African's and enjoy it.
Liesel and AJ
Rob had decorated the whole room in gold and white, absolutely stunning and reminded me a little of mom's home
Boys relaxing before lunch
Getting into the Christmas spirit
After lunch the men all jumped in the Viljoens hot tub for a marinade and the girls killed time chatting and laughing until a game of Cranium finally ended a lovely day and we arrived home at around 9.30pm exhausted and happy.Boxing day was another bitter sweet day with our thoughts turning often to Brett, Charlene and Tegan who have spent every boxing day with us for at least the last 10 years.....but again we made a determined effort and have enjoyed lazing around the house playing with Christmas presents, eating chocolate and watching one movie after another. We took the children out briefly to buy presents with their Christmas money from Granny and Papa (another new tradition that we have started....in England just about everything goes on sale of Boxing day and you can pick up the most amazing bargains). They are both thrilled with their purchases - Megs has two new DS lite games and Phil found himself 4 PSII games so all in all a good afternoon.
We have just finished our final meal of the festive season and during it each family member had the opportunity to talk about what they have loved and found hard over the past couple of days and although missing family and friends definitely came up, the general consensus seems to be it was a good one and the children are at peace. So for now I am just so relieved that we have all made it through Christmas in one piece and are still happy to be where we are not matter the cost.
Tomorrow we are off tenpin bowling with Kerry and Rob for Kerry's birthday and Si and the children still have another week on holidays so I am sure there are lots of happy memories still to come.





7 comments:
oh my goodness - i love the draping and the effort they went to to make the cabin fit for royalty - i am sure you felt all warm and special inside. As for the little santa outfit....too noo noo for words !!! so glad you got such awesome friends nearby, makes all the difference.
we did it my friend - we survived our first christmas in the UK...can only get easier from now on...i hope.
Hey, well done! it looks like you had a really fantastic Christmas!
Loving that cabin, beautiful...great family pics too.
Now that christmas has come and
gone and we all, as family survived it without to much heartache, I feel that I must mention how extremely proud your father and I are of the WHOLE Robertson family,in the way that you have undertaken this huge step in your lives and coped so so very well as a united unit with no family support anywhere near you at all.well done!!!!It would appear that Kerry and Rob were heaven sent because they have been there for you when we couldnt...at Nics birth and now at Christmas when most people had some family around.You are are bunch of survivors and from now on life will just grow from strengh to strengh and you will be rewarded for having the courage to do what you know is best for your family as a whole.Love u all.
Wow, that cabin looks absolutely divine!
The christmas outfit is soooo cute.
Glad you all had a happy Christmas and as has been said before, you and your family can only grow from strength to strength.
Keep well.
hi Andrea.Reading your mom's blog gave me cold shivers.What she said is so true.Am so glad that you guys have good time over the festive season.It is only natural that you would miss your folks & friends but you are were you ought to be.
Thought about you more than normal over Christmas & wished so much that I could just pick up the phone & have a chat.
Miss you guys lots. Lotsa luv Mary
P.S. Love Nicholas suit - could grab him & just hug him tight
Love Mary
Post a Comment