Thursday, 11 December 2008

Thursday 11th December 2008

Today I decided to blow off clinic and head down to Brighton on my own on the train to fetch a couple of Christmas presents and to have a look around at a nice leisurely pace.

It was my first time on the train on my own and I have to confess to some butterflies in my stomach as I approached the platform, but before long I felt like a seasoned traveller and can honestly say I won't be driving again - the trip consists of 15 minutes of lovely scenery and Brighton Station is very clean and efficient so all in all a real pleasure and it reinforced my love of overland trains.

Taking a slow stroll through the lanes I was entranced by the tiny shops all beautifully decorated for Christmas, the air was filled with the scent of roasting garlic as there are literally hundreds of tiny restaurants scattered through the area. The air was icy and everyone was dressed up against the winter, but the air felt clean and crisp and I felt totally happy.

After finishing some shopping at Kath Kidson, such a stunning store, the draw of the sea became too strong and Nic and I headed down to the promenade for a stroll. As you can imagine on a week day morning in the middle of winter the beach was totally deserted and I soon found a bench to sit and enjoy the view while feeding Nicholas. It was a slightly surreal feeling I have to say, I am used to the power and passion of the Indian Ocean and I adore sitting for hours on the sand watching the surf and clearing my head....here I found myself sitting with my feet in pebbles watching water as flat as a millpond and it was strangely peaceful - it will of course NEVER replace my love of the sea as I have known it all my life, but I am able to see a unique beauty in this view of the ocean as well.

6 comments:

linda andrew said...

oh what a stunning day - if only we lived close enough so i could join you and share it all - i love sitting on the beach - it also calms me. glad you had fun - even though it was icy cold and wintery

Beryldene said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...where, or where, OH WHERE do I start!?????!!!!?????...i could weep that this place EXISTS..without me!!!!...oh GF...I know that if you and I were in this shop we would without a doubt...BE SHRIEKING, and exclaiming, and OOOHHing and AAAHHing...and sniff...then we would all (4 of us) stroll out, down the lane, and grab a cuppa whilst we chatted about eveyrthing we'd seen, without there being a single breath drawn from any of us...This is UNDOUBTEDLY, MY SHOP. Thank you for finding it for me, and finding me in it....

Miss you madly.. sniff
Bee

Beryldene said...

oh and GF...your pics of the surrounding areas are just BEAUTIFUL and really capture the magic of this place, which for us is also significant considering Nick's Dad grew up in Brighton, so if we ever travelled to your neck of the woods, we most certainly would amble that way.......

mary said...

hi Andrea.I would have gone mad in that exquisite shop.Besides the PINK,looked like there were some amazing things that one just wouldn't be able to resist.

Must have felt good to have some "you" time at a place you felt so relaxed.

Miss you guys so much.Just over five months to finally get to see you all.Can't wait.Love & kisses Mary

Anonymous said...

Its all the wonderful photos that you take of almost everything that you do that makes your blog so special!!I can just imagine that Brighton would apppeal to you as it is one of the places that I still remember from our trip together...and only 15 ins by train..wow what a bonus.Why dont you take the children there one evening to see the xmas lights or is it just to cold

Michelle Ramsay said...

I must say I also enjoyed Brighton when I was there.