Wednesday, 3 December 2008

The greatest challenge of all.....

If there is one thing that I have personally discovered over the last 6 months and through talking to many immigrants all over the world, the greatest challenge of this experience seems to be remaining positive.....when we fall prey to negativity we sink....everything becomes harder, the weather, the lack of support, the whole boat begins to rock as it where and this way disaster lies.

Remaining positive is in itself a 24 hour job, it is not easy when faced with bills you don't understand or are battling to pay, roads you have never seen before, language that is meaningless, faces with no names and the other mired of experiences thrown our way daily....I have fallen to the negativity, as have many I know, but we have to find the strength to crawl back out and once again embrace the wonders we are also surrounded by if we are to make this work, and by this I don't mean simply survive, I mean work with all the happiness and joy that that includes.

This however seems to be easier said then done and I think the negative mindset has been the downfall of many an otherwise successful immigration. Do I have all the answers, absolutely not, like with having children there is no handbook to the perfect immigration or life for that matter, but I think the same principle applies where ever you are, start small, find the one happy moment in every day, and if one doesn't exist create it by turning on a happy song (mine is Punk Rocker), if you act happy long enough your mind begins to believe you....dwelling creates more negativity.

In the principle of The Secret, what we put out into the universe is what we receive, so for today I plan to hang onto those happy moments - my baby's smile, a hug from the children, Simon's kiss at the end of the day, hearing my mom's voice on the phone and sharing a skype with the bratz, these are the moments that create the bliss which in turn feeds the positivity and it is this way that I will survive today and make it a diamond.

5 comments:

linda andrew said...

wow - i totally agree with you - i always say - FAKE IT UNTILL YOU MAKE IT it is terribly hard to remain positive and upbeat about being so far from loved ones and cu.utres we are used to and so on - so for today focus on all the blessings we have and how terribly rich we are in our lives and far better off than most of the folk we have known in our lives - knowing we have loving families and parents who adore us and support our every stage in life - even this one - hang in there my precious friend - together we can rule russia - so for now lets just try survive this new world we have dived into...your friend through happy sad good and bad feast and fammon SA and UK, linda

The housewife said...

Yes, it can be quite hard to stay positive but I also feel that it does change.

This is our third winter in the UK and I find that I'm nowhere as ......volatile as I was the first two Decembers. And I am faced with more challenges this year than I have been previously. The weather and people sort of grow on you.......

Before you know it the birds are singing again.

mary said...

Hi there my far away friend.I just needed to read your blog to make me realise that there is always something do be glad & grateful about.Everybody has their problems but how we handle it,is our own choice.

Thank you

Luv & miss you guys staxz, Mary

Michelle Ramsay said...

It is how you handle things that creates an outcome and from what I have read on your various blog posts, you are a very positive person. So just remember that the negative things that may happen are sent to test you and make you stronger.

"What the mind can perceive, the heart can achieve" Got for it and enjoy!

Beryldene said...

gf....I hope you get this as I have been ...well...out of the loop so to speak this week with the chaos that is part and parcel of year end......

My thoughts are that you are such an example to others of how to make things work when you know that it's truly what you want at the time....you have incredible inner strength..and as for that pain thresh hold..well gf let's not even go there!...you are an inspiration of note to those, who like you may have those moments, where the vision you have of the bigger picture, becomes slightly blurred by the repercussions of moving away from people and places familiar to one...but true to who you are...you have shown that like anything, you can choose how to react and to find the blessings in the simplist things...how awesome...

Love
Bee