Thursday, 27 November 2008

Thursday 27th November 2008

Both children are still at home, but definitely on the mend as I can't hear myself think as I type this post, they have a great game of Lego going on upstairs....this strict mommy won't allow them downstairs as being sick is about being in bed so upstairs it is - and a definite plus is that it helps contain the infection from Nicholas.

As we have been in the country 6 months now and the long winter evenings are upon us (it is dark now from 4.30pm - 7.00am) Simon and I decided that last night was time for another "family meeting" during which each member gets to chat about their feelings about the move and giving us an opportunity to try and change the things that are perhaps making us miserable and capitalise on the things that are making us happy.

These "meetings" are always interesting and I am sometimes amazed by the things that come out of them....it turns out that Megs is loving the outings and the extra family time that we are experiencing here and enjoying the fact that I am not always so busy and we have time for walks and shopping together etc, she also likes the fact that her dad is more relaxed and seems to be happy. She however hates the pebble beaches and is longing for some waves so we have promised her a trip further south as soon as the weather warms for a long weekend somewhere in either Devon or Cornwell.

Phillip (and this surprised me) likes the fact that he can wait for me in the car when I go into a shop and not feel scared and that I let him start walking home with his sister when we have been to the village - I really thought that I had protected my children from the "fear" in South Africa and it is certainly nothing that we have ever openly discussed in front of them as they still have so many loved ones there that we don't want them to worry, but as they say "from the mouths of babes". He in turn dislikes the way the children here swear and disrespect their parents, again a surprise, and although this one isn't as easy to solve as his sisters I am looking out for South African social groups at the moment to expose him to children that are raised in the same way as he is and we discussed the fact that he doesn't have to hang with kids he doesn't like just to have friends....coz at the end of the day they aren't real friends anyway.

Si is loving the outings and solid family time as well but is really battling with the crowds everywhere and finds the health and safety a bit OTT, so we are going to do more wood walks then city highlights and try and find some kind of balance....we are also looking at getting him a motorbike so that he has some freedom from the trains and can ride to work when he needs a break. Health and Safety.....well there simply isn't a way round that and he is right they are totally OTT.

For me, well the pages of this blog are filled with my hopes, thoughts, likes and dislikes, nothing new there. A very worthwhile exercise and one that we have agreed to repeat every 6 months until England is home and South Africa just somewhere all the people we love live.

7 comments:

Beryldene said...

Gf...those family meetings are essential...sadly...families don't realise how effective they can be - well done....well it sounds like on the whole all is well and how awesome that the kids get a chance to share their feelings with you....and wonderful that this experience has brought you more family time together, because isn't that after all, what the bigger picture in life is all about????
Luff
Your gf

Tracy Schimper said...

I'm feeling inspired by your post, and think that I really must try and do something along those lines with my girls!

Jacqui said...

Fantastic idea! Our version is "Best & Worst of your day" which we do most nights during dinner at the table - eat at the table EVERY night! It really helps to get into each others day in a meaningful way and once the conversation has started there isnt a minutes silence. Really enjoying reading about "Life in Lindfield" thank you for sharing. Love, Jax

Michelle Ramsay said...

Great idea and your children and family have a great solid base on which to grow. Not many parents like to listen to what their children have to say and then do something about it.

mary said...

Happy to read that Megs & Phillip are feeling a lot better.By having these little sit-downs with the kids is a great idea - as all of your other ideas are.You are just amazing - what more can I say.Your family is such a close-knit one & is so good for the kids.They know that they can come to you about anything whether it be good or bad as you will ALWAYS listen.

Love to all, Mary

Gutsy Living said...

I'm new to your blog. How old are your children? I was intersted in your comment on the disrespect that UK kids show their parents. I live in California. but was raised in Europe. Have 3 sons and we moved to Belize for a year to get our kids away from the bad influences in orange County, California.

Andrea said...

Hi GutsyWriter, welcome to the blog. I have a daughter of 10 and two boys, 1 8years and 1 4 months. It is the 8 year old who is finding the disrespect of the kids here disturbing.....not that he is a saint, but he is a good kid and tries his best.

xxx