Tuesday, 4 November 2008

Mind over Matter

To me perhaps the greatest gift that God has given us is the control of mind over matter, the ability to choose how you react to a situation even though you can't control it....two of the best examples I can think of for this are Christopher Reeves and Victor Van Meulen, both men faced tremendous adversity but went on to champion over it and live albeit a different life, and one they would not perhaps have chosen, but a full life with all that it has to offer none the less.

Over this past weekend I hit rock bottom in England, but it is only through this that I have been able to pick myself up and triumph over the situation....when faced with the examples of the two men above, how can I fall to pieces and be miserable when I am living in the country of my choice where my children are safe and opportunities for us as a family abound - at the end of the day it is mind over matter, so today I am back up and ready to go forward.

I think that this weekend was good for me as I faced another aspect of this journey and I have come through it stronger and more resolute to make this thing work.....I watched my husbands face as he realised I was having doubts and the fear in his eyes that I may actually ask him to return to South Africa and all the implications that would have, and I don't ever want to see that look again....we made this move as a family and with my parents support and although I miss them every single day this is my bed and I am going to lie in it and be happy about it - and that is the strength of mind over matter.

6 comments:

linda andrew said...

well done my friend - you are an overcomer and able to sit back and disect a situation for what it is and make calm reasonable conclusions - we are all here for you when the next all fall down should happen and it will - cause we are human and woman and have amazing parents whom we love and adore - and miss terribly - and if we never felt sadness and missed them then we never truly loved - so for now stay strong and rememebr all this for the next time you feel low - scroll back to this time in your blog and read the advice and remind yourself YOU CAN DO THIS and you will be fine. Huge big breasted kisses, your friend through happy and sad good and bad...LINDA

Jacqui said...

Hi Andrea, Congratulations to all of you - it really must be very hard and you are going to have to be very strong and persevere as I'm sure it's going to take a lot longer than a few months to get really settled. I will keep you and your family in my prayers - just remember where your strength comes from. (Jer 29v11) with love, Jacqui Warren

The housewife said...

You moved the playlist, Thank you.

I think you spoke about the correlation between hormones and just having had a baby somewhere in your previous post.

Well, I feel that you have hit the nail on the head! Having a baby is an emotional (read hormonal) experience for anybody - put yourself in a foreign country with lots of unknowns and new dynamics and boy do you have a potential explosion.

I love my kids but let me say it: one kid is a treat, two keeps you busy - ad a third one and it's chaos. Sometimes I feel as if I don't have a life anymore, it's just cooking, cleaning and running after kids.

And then the storm calms and it gets better and better. Before you know it those hormones are back to where they used to be and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

I'm off to take my daily dose of prozac now (jooooking)

Beryldene said...

Well done...a winner not a quitter GF, glad you have found the inner peace that puts you once again in a calm and happy place, and gives you the resolve to know where you are at and where you are going....forward.

Lotsa love...always
Bee

Michelle Ramsay said...

Life is what you make it - you are making it happy for yourself and your family. Enjoy what you have. Well done on realising that.

mary said...

hi my friend.so glad u feeling beta re your move.deep down, you know that you did the right thing for YOUR family.You have always been one to overcome anything.It will obviously take time,but you must never ever question you choice you made.Love & miss you, Mary RSA