Thursday, 7 January 2010

Thursday 7th January 2010

I don't think I would be exaggerating if I said that today was honestly one of the happiest I can remember. Si and the children were still all home due to the snow, and while talking to Linda bemoaning the fact that I still hadn't managed to find a toboggan and that my kids were really sad she mentioned that in February they had used boogie boards to go down the slopes and I suddenly remembered the children's skimmer boards which have been in storage since the end of summer.

I raced downstairs to pull them out of my boot (no we don't have much storage space lol) and it didn't take long for Megan, Phillip, Lewis and I to pull on our snow suits and hit the small slope in our back garden, it was some of the best fun I can ever remember having and the boards literally flew across the snow even carrying my weight and we spent literally hours racing and seeing who could get the furthest. I don't get a lot of opportunities to play with my children in the true childlike way of shrieking and running and falling but today was one of those days and I will hold it in my heart forever.

Playing with our "Linda Boards" - me in our garden, Megs on the big slope out in the meadow



In the afternoon once Si had done some work we again dressed up snugly and took a walk through the wood to a meadow near our home which has a wonderful steep slope - we ALL took turns flying down the hill and as there were at least another 10 children there playing it was lovely and festive and the laughter could be heard for miles I am sure.

Please excuse the poor quality of the shots but the light was very low by this point



Ever the daredevil Phillip just had to give me 50 fits by going down the slope on his feet


Megs and Phil where very proud of their skimmer boards (now christened Linda boards in honour of Aunty Lin and her BRILLIANT suggestion) as they outraced every toboggan on the slope and we have all decided that they are by far the best device for tearing down the hills at breakneck speeds. Little Nicholas even got a chance to go down the slope with his dad on Lewie's toboggan, he loved it and said MORE for the first time when they got to the bottom of the slope.

Phillip having a turn on Lewie's toboggan....not nearly as fast as the "Linda boards"







Such an amazing, wonderful, special special day - thank you my beautiful children for sharing it with me!

As the sunset - such a perfect moment


Ice crystals hanging off the roof of our home


Showing off Mr Frosty...who is very solid btw, know cos I "Linda boarded into him a couple of times lol

8 comments:

linda andrew said...

OH MY GOODNESS - awesome awesome awesome - i am thrilled you have given me the naming rights to your new found toys.....nothing better than playing in the snow as a family - you will all treasure today like a precious pearl in your family memory bank

Lisel Louw Greyling said...

My dear friend, it seems like the most perfect day ever. So missing you all right now! xxx

Mel said...

Wow - that looks like LOADS of fun - closest I have done is dune-surfing and I loved that!

I wish we could share moments like this with our kids more often, I sometimes feel like such dull mom! But days like this make it feel within reach again hey?

Rocker 38 said...

How absolutely marvellous.Makes me green with envy because I LOVE the cold! Also did some screaming with glee playing with the kids last night. Got them a Wii for Christmas and we've been having family ten-pin challenges. Delighted coz I beat Kelly (the family champ!) in my best round ever.Bad news is that I managed to strain a muscle in my butt that I had forgotten I owned!!Some truly fun moments stay with us forever.

Rhian Claire said...

It has been so much fun! I agree will be pearls in our memory banks and hopefully beautifully journalled scrapbook pages too! Hugs C

Jo said...

It wonderful that you are sooo able to appreciate spending these moments with your kids. Mine are a little bit older for this right now, and if they do toboggan they would prefer to leave me at home ;(
Thanks for all your comments - I really appreciate your kindness and thoughtfulness.

mary said...

HI MY FRIEND.YOU MUST HAVE THOUGHT BY NOW I HAD DISAPPEARED AS HAVE BEEN SO QUIET. LOVE THE PICTURE WITH THE SUNSET - SO RELAXING.MISS YOU GUYS LOTS & LOTS. MARY

mary said...

THERE IS NOTHING NICER THAN HEARING THE LAUGHTER OF A CHILD.AM GOING TO MISS MY GRANDSON SO VERY MUCH WHEN HE HAS TO GO BACK TO E.L. REGARDS MARY