Saturday, 2 January 2010

Blessings in 2009

I firmly believe in taking stock at the close of each year, giving thanks for the highs and trying to learn from the lows - for me personally I think 2009, while not nearly as eventful as 2008 was a very good year and I find myself counting my blessings far more than I am having to coming to terms with hardship.

So with that said, these are some of the things I am most grateful for.....
  • For our continued health of our precious family both here and in South Africa and while I sadly lost my grandfather during 2009, I still feel that we have generally speaking all been well and are entering 2010 strong and healthy
  • For the fact that my husband is coming round to England and while still incredibly frustrated in some areas he is starting to love the life that we lead and appreciate the advantages this move has given us. He even surprised me on New Years Eve when I asked him if knowing all he knows now would he have moved here and his answer was ABSOLUTELY NOT followed by the statement that as a result he was glad he didn't know coz he would have missed out on an adventure and opportunity for growth....to say you could have knocked me over with a feather is the understatement of the decade ;0)
  • For my beautiful courageous older children....they have come so so so so far in 2009 and I am the proudest mother when I look at what they have overcome and how they have continued to be cheerful, kind, friendly, responsible, compassionate, non judgemental, hard working, independent, low maintenance (and the list just goes on and on)
  • For my perfect little Nick Nick who has to be the easiest most content baby alive and who brings us joy every minute of the day.
  • For my AMAZING husband who has died to self so often in 2009 so that the children and I can live a dream and it is not a sacrifice all men would make and I acknowledge that and so appreciate it.
  • For my parents support and the fact that my mother has been out to visit us...without these trips our reality here would be so different and I am counting the sleeps till I hear their next trip is booked.
  • For my cousin and Pedal Studio without whom financially 2009 would have been a far more difficult year and for the fact that through working together our relationship has grown even closer.
  • For my beautiful, wonderful sisterhood....friends both old and new, near and far....without this group of woman my world would be a much quieter, lonelier and sadder place and I give thanks daily for their involvement in my life.
  • For the sale of our house in South Africa and the financial relief it has given us including the ability to bring Simon's mom over to visit for a month
  • That Simon was able to remain employed when literally million's of others have been made redundant. Redundancy means immediate return to South Africa for us and it is not something we want to even contemplate at this stage.
  • and I am sure there are a million more that have escaped me in this moment.
2009 according to Megan.....Good enough year

Highs: Passing SATS; Going to Oathall which is the best school in the world; Spending time with my family at wonderful parks and museums; Both my grannies came to visit.
Lows: Not many lows at all, can't think of any really important ones.

2009 according to Phillip......Good and happy year

Highs: Lots of highs like going to Thorpe park; Meeting my best friend Kelby at Lindfield; Moving into our new house; Spending time with both my grans
Lows: Only being able to go on two of the really big rides at Thorpe Park; That Boompa died and I couldn't go to his funeral.

2009 according to Si.....A Good year for family
Highs: My mom's, sister's and Jill's visits; a lovely warm summer and 18cms of snow in the winter....good for a snow fight at least :0)
Lows: Recession and all it's impacts

3 comments:

linda andrew said...

shew - that was beautifully put

lance said...

so so beautiful you made me cry - and more importantly put so much in perspective for me! We have so much to be grateful for - one that I can add is that redundancy opened new avenues for us as a family and although we were scared beyond we had no choice but to make things work and after a low three months we started our advertising company and are still afloat to tell the tale! All I can say is that is we both (both your and my families) achieve what we have in the last two years again in the next two years it will be a HUGE achievement! We will down your end in the Spring on our way to France on the Harleys I think a photoshoot and a good cuppa are way overdue!

lance said...

Sorry Andrea - didnt' realise my hubby was signed in so Lance is actually Claire Mc Geer - ps thank you so much for your messages on my blog - it helps!