Wednesday, 3 June 2009

A very special friendship

Searching through some photos earlier today I came across these ones of Phillip and Dom and it reminded me of a story I have been wanting to scrap forever and as I still haven't had the chance so I have decided to blog it.

These two boys have been best friends for years now and the story I have in mind occurred about 2 years ago shortly after Phillip's 7th birthday.....we had sadly just had to have our beautiful cat Shadow put down after a series of diabetic lows that had resulted in him loosing his eyesight and experiencing severe epileptic seizures and Phil was very aware that it was possible to put an animal out of it misery as and when it becomes necessary.


Anyway one day as we were driving home after he had been to play with Dom he asked me very matter of factly if it was possible to put a human down......well to say I was a bit surprised at this question from a 7 year old is an understatement and I remember going down the whole road of living wills and assisted suicide, all the time being aware of how much information I should give him but at the same time trying to explain to him that it was not really something that could be done.

About 10 minutes into the conversation I stopped and looked at him, wondering why he had asked such a question apparently out of the blue.....so I asked him and his answer without any semblance of irony was "Mom I just love Dom so much that when he dies I just want to be put down".


This story is so indicative of the love between these two boys and their friendship is something I have never witnessed in such young children. Even 12 months apart doesn't seem to have lessened their fondness for each other and without hesitation Dominic is the first name Phil mentions whenever he speaks of South Africa.

10 comments:

linda andrew said...

aaaah seeing them together in the pictures is JUST RIGHT - they are brothers, their friendship is special.So so glad you decided to BLOG this.

Jenny in Durbs said...

Just so amazing. Wonderful memories.

Gill said...

What a fantastic friendship! Their love for each other shines out of those photos :-)

Michelle Ramsay said...

That is a really special friendship that should last many, many years. It is those that we end up treasuring the most. My best friend and I started our friendship in 1970!

Jacqui said...

I understand this and it's so evident in our home at the moment as my 12 year old daughter has just "lost" her best friend to emigration. My Courtney is very much smaller in size than Tayla and everyone thought they were sisters as they even look a little alike. the emails between the 2 girls are flying between Durbs and England nightly - long may it last.

Andrea said...

Jax you must get them skype, it is much easier for them and a lovely way to stay in touch....you can then upgrade to a webcam maybe for a birthday or christmas and then they can see each other when they talk.

mary said...

Hi my friend.Phillip, being so young still, s blessed to have found one true friend & i hope that distance won't damage that friendship.Love the pictures of them together. Mary

Rox said...

WOW!! That is awesome to see in a young person!! That is what friendship should be!!!
xoxox

Ella Swan said...

Aah that is so cute! Kids are so funny. The things they say. It is just darling. My kids are the same with their Zim friends. They all have new friends now of course, but no-one can take the place of childhood buddies ;-D

Beryldene said...

sniff....Ands GF....amazing how our two boys share a bond of friendhsip, that we too share. As I said in my skype...my little boy has a plaster over his heart, but he still feels the wound GF..