This morning as I was standing in the shower I found myself once again mulling over our immigration process (no I don't sing, the family would simply NEVER survive it lol) and although I do believe that 80% of our success so far has been down to attitude there are some VERY important people who have been a part of our journey and without whom I am not sure we would be where we are today.
My parents have to top this list and although I have said it before I simply cannot stress the importance of the fact that they have WILLINGLY let us go and ACTIVELY encourage us to remain on a regular basis......for those parents out there who are faced with their children's eminent departure, I beg you, LET THEM GO and let them go freely and willingly if you want their move to be a success. My parents have never once wished us home (well not verbally at least :-) ) and they have made a HUGE effort to continue to be involved in our lives through skype and over the telephone....my mom buys a world call card on a regular basis and stays in touch almost daily just as she would have if I was in SA. Without the pressure we have been able to settle and find happiness free of the guilt often associated with leaving parents behind.
There have been many friends new and old who have also contributed to our successful relocation, without these people our lives would have been lonely and isolated and although again I believe our attitude towards making friends has been a contributing factor, the new friends have opened their lives to us and the old ones have held us in their hearts and continued to "cheer" for us from the sidelines....and of course my blog buddies are a constant source of unexpected support :-).
Three people I truly believe I would NEVER have made it without are of course Linda, Tanya and Kerry...
LINDA is the person I phone for my much needed dose of home, having been here only 2 months longer then us she is on EXACTLY the same page and we prop each other up when the need arises, we laugh together, vent together and do housework together and she fills the huge gaping hole in my life where the Bratz used to be.
My friendship with TANYA has be revived through my move here and I cannot begin to describe the comfort of knowing that my oldest friend in the world is just a train trip away....Tanya knows EVERYTHING about me and being able to just pick up the phone and chat when I am feeling down, or have something special to share has made all the difficulties of the process seem more manageable.
As for KERRY (and of course Rob), I cannot believe that we have only been friends for a year, I said to Simon the other night I simply can't imagine our lives without them.....Kerry and Rob have embraced us as family and have been there for us through thick and thin, knowing that they are just up the road has made all the difference in our lives and they often bring the much needed laughter and joy into our home.
And so, this has to date been a successful journey, although not without its ups and downs, and it has been due in no small measure to the people in my life at present.....without them would I have been able to maintain the positive attitude and approach that I have or would I have been battling depression and desperate to go home - I don't really know, but I suspect the latter would have been true, and I THANK GOD every single day that he chose the wonderful souls that he did to be a part of my life during this, possibly the most difficult thing I have ever done.
9 comments:
oh straight back at you my precious friend .......I adore our daily chats....housework with you is the BESTEST EVER. love you lots
A beautiful tribute Andrea - you are truly blessed :)
Oh wow, thanks for that. I have so enjoyed reading your blog about your daily life and the move. I came to your last scrap day you had before you left and you made an impact on me which prompted me to follow your blog the minute I knew about it. So glad that I have been able to help in a blogging way to your happiness. Keep going and always be positive.
Fantastic that you have taken the time to acknowledge the people who have helped you in your "journey".
I totally buy into the whole "it takes a village to raise a child" concept and I think it extends way beyond childhood - I believe it takes a village to enable us to live a full life.
Hi Andrea!
What a lovely post. Thanks so much f0or the mention. You are an incredible woman & reading your blog has done so many good things for me ;-D
Those friends who support us through tough times are true diamonds. You are so right about attitude though - it is vitally important to the success of any venture.
FINALLY, I AM BACK ON LINE.GOT SO SICK & TIRED OF WAITING FOR THE INSURANCE CO TO REPLACE STOLEN COMPUTER WENT AHEAD & BOUGHT ONE THIS A.M. SO CAN GO BACK & READ ALL YOUR NEWS.10 MORE SLEEPIES & I WILL FINALLY BE THERE IN PERSON.
SOMETIMES FIND MYSELF NOT BELIEVING BECAUSE NOT TO LONG AGO, IT WAS MONTHS BEFORE I GET THERE.TAKE CARE & WILL GET HOLD OF YOU LATER.
HUGS & KISSES, MARY
YOU ARE A REMARKABLE WOMAN,JUST AS YOUR MOTHER IS.WE HAD GOOD TIME YESTERDAY CHATTING BOUT YOUR TRIP TOGETHER A WHILE BACK.WISH I HAD BEEN A FLY ON THE WALL TO SEE WHAT YOU GUYS GOT UP TOO.IT MUST HAVE BEEN HARD FOR YOUR FOLKS TO SAY GOODBYE BUT THEY,JUST LIKE EVERYBODY HERE IN S.A. KNEW THAT YOU WERE DOING THE RIGHT THING.
YOUR ATTITUDE HAS BEEN GREAT FROM THE BEGINNING & THINGS WILL ONLY GET BETTER AS TIME GOES BY.
TAKE CARE MY FRIEND & DON'T EVER CHANGE. LOVE YOU LOTS, MARY
Oops...left a comment out here...And's, what a lovely dedication to those people that you GF have drawn to you. And that's what makes you such a great friend, is that you so willingly share you love and appreciation to those who matter in your life and help to make a difference in it, and I have no doubt that you have enriched their lives just as much as they have yours.
Post a Comment