Sunday, 21 September 2008

Sunday 21st September 2008

What a lovely lovely day....the skies were once again blue, and while Phillip went off with Wayne to rugby practise the rest of the family headed out to Southwater for Megan's Cub raft race. What fun, Simon got involved with the building the raft and our girls team made a wonderful effort racing against all the boy teams - they even managed to win one of the relay races and it was wonderful to once again be amongst a group of screaming mothers, all we needed were yellow tshirts and I could have been back at a Hillcrest Primary School sports day.

After the race we collected Phil and headed out to Piltdown to a lovely homely pub which has a great kiddies area and nice wholesome home cooked food for a pub lunch - I drank my first 500mls of cider much to mom and Si's amusement and it was stunning to just sit and relax in the sunshine.


Tonight on the news we have heard that Thabo Mbeki has been forced to resign as president of South Africa, and I confess to feeling a deep concern that things are going to get bad there before they stabilise and I admit to more then a little worry for family and friends.....we are now so removed from the problems in SA and so caught up with the crumbling economy here that we don't give much thought to the politics on the other side of the world and tonight was a stark reminder that not all our loved ones are as safe as we perhaps are, something which leaves me feeling very sad when I think just how beautiful the country is and how much it has to offer.

3 comments:

mary said...

hi my friend.I love the picture of mom & daughter.You look so happy.I think your move was the best thing you could have ever done.We won't talk about the Mbeki issue.It seems to be once problem after the next.take care
Mary

Michelle Ramsay said...

Looks like you had great weather for a great time. Love the picture of you and your mom and your mom with your son - cute.

linda andrew said...

what a lovely day you had. i can just hear you screaming and cheering and your hair - well lets not go there Girlfriend..ha ha

lovely photos and i am thrilled you having such fun out and about with your mom