This week has been about mom and I spending some last minute quality time together....isn't it funny that she has been here for 2 months yet there is still so much that we want to do and say before she goes home. Nicholas has finally finished all his medical checkups and appointments and has been given a total all clear and declared "in perfect health", so now Mom can go home without stress and worry having stayed long enough to do exactly what she came here to do and see me through the birth and establishing of a routine.
I must be honest that having literally had my mom move in for the first two months has given me a much greater understanding, and in deed appreciation, for the Indian culture of having your family live with you in the early stages after childbirth, as western women, we are so determined to be independent and do it on our own that we are inclined to isolate ourselves and instead of asking for help we struggle on, often fighting post natal depression, and quite frankly we loose out on some of the experience.
What better than being able to focus on loving and nurturing your baby while someone near and dear to you takes care of you. I have really loved it all this time and it is in no small measure to my mom's presence and support....and of course the unsung hero in all of this has to be my dad - dad has been on his own in South Africa for the last 2 months and has literally given up my mom for mine and Nicholas's benefit, no small feat, and something I will forever be grateful for, to have been able to so enjoy this experience has been the greatest gift of all.
5 comments:
That must be a great relief knowing that Nicholas has the all clear and especially for your mom who will be leaving shortly.
A mom is always such a special person and I agree, we don't call on their expertise enough!
Enjoy your last moments together and you will be fine once she has gone - just another way of us being tested to see how we cope.
Hi Robertsons's,
I have been reading your Blog and catching up on your journey. Amazing is the first word that comes to mind. Your family is an inspiration to others that are embarking on an adventure which takes them far away from family and friends. You are all pulling together and coming out on top as one family unit.
Nick is gorgeous with a very strong resemblance to both Megan and Phillip. Gabs is in Durban for the weekend, with Shanna, so it is my turn to play Aunt.
Wishing you well on the rest of your journey
Lots of Love
The Desmet Duo
Hi there my friend.thriled to read that Nicholas has been given the "all clear" regarding his health.Your mom can at least leave there knowing that all is going to be ok.
I am sure you guys will be very heartbroken to say goodbye but be grateful for the time you had together.
You are the strongest person I know & can overcome anything.Miss you lots. Mary
Gf...this has been a gift, so true, and your appreictaion and acknowledgement of that, will bring so much more to follow. Lots of love, and pink fluffy hugs.
Thinking of you...always...
Bee
I can bearly believe its 2 months already my friend. Enjoy the time you have left together for now, but know that all that separates you is miles. I've realised even more than ever, that technology helps us feel so much closer, and it helps tremendously to be able to stay in touch with tools like skype - now my new best friend, otherwise how would we all be able to stay in touch. xxx
Post a Comment