Thursday, 18 September 2008

Wednesday 17th August 2008

My dear mom was blown away by three things today......things that she believes make living here worthwhile, despite the shockingly cold weather and rapidly declining economy.

1. I had to have my tyres change this morning as they were right through to the canvas and I hadn't even noticed (you can tell I don't have my dad around to nag me (lol)....well to cut a long story short we went into a local garage in Haywards Heath, and having examined the two front tyres the attendant there declared that they were in a dangerous condition, I asked if I could book the car in for them to be changed only to discover that they were already fully booked for the afternoon.....and this is where my mom's mind blowing part comes in......the young guy who served me declared that there was no way that he was allowing me to go out on the road again with my tyres in that condition and that he would change them for me personally during his lunch hour, and all this wonderful service with a lovely smile.

2. After having the tyres changed we made our way to Burgess Hill to the local Tesco's (much cheaper then Sainsburys and my new shopping spot) to do the weekly shopping, and as we parked (in huge extended "Mother and Child" parking I must add), a very nice lady approached us to let me know that my brake lights weren't working....mom was just blown away by how nice she was and the fact that she had bothered to go out of her way and follow us into the car park, watch were we had parked and then come over to let us know, she now believes me when I say how nice the English are.

3. Once we had finished our shopping and were putting the groceries through the till, I suddenly realised that I had forgotten to buy milk and expressed my dismay to my mom....."Never mind" says the cashier "I will get someone to go and get it for you" - well you could have knocked mom over with a feather......I mean someone to actually go and fetch shopping that you forgot, she was simply stunned (lol).

4 comments:

Beryldene said...

Eish.....I think Jill is getting VERRRY comfortable in England indeed Tim!...where's the Mr delivery number! LOL!

Glad you girls had a happy day filled with charming people. Makes a change from the usual "E-he" that we've come to know and love...sorry...that we've come to know...here in Africa.

Love
B!

Ronda Volker said...

Hi Andrea

Tesco's is great, the clothes were my favourite especially from the very big stores (Tesco).....we get the cherokee range in PnP now.... I still have a STUNNING pair of wedge sandals from there......but I shopped weekly from 'ocado' on the internet and it was really fantastic (the stock comes from Waitrose,)well that was then which was over two years ago now and I was so worried about returning to SA and managing without my internet shopping but I literally have PnP around the corner so can't really warrant 'internet'.... the services are great though.....
Love Ronda

Jo said...

Sounds blissful, I find the PnP staff at our local very friendly indeed just the odd person with a chip/log on their shoulder.

mary said...

hi there.have to agree with the other comments when it comes to P&P.I have been blessed, due to my disability & i am in too much pain to go inside the shopping to get what i require,they are all to eager to help me.The staff,excluding management,are remarkable & it is always a pleasure shopping there.

Am sure that the kind of service we get is all over the world.We are just blessed when we do get the kind of service that you have been blessed to receive there.

Take care & God bless

Mary