Wednesday, 10 September 2008

Life is about changes

Alright I know that I am starting to sound like I am obsessing about the weather, but that really isn't the case, it is simply that I am so amazed by the distinct change in seasons in this country....less then 4 months ago the sun was setting well after 21h30 at night and tonight it was already totally dark by 20h00 and I believe that within another month the sun will have set by 18h00.

It is funny, but experiencing this change in seasons has made me realise that that is perhaps the greatest part of this adventure we are on...experiencing everything for the first time, the cultures, the food, the people and of course the weather. Being so far out of our comfort zone while at times frightening, frustrating or even just annoying is at the same time totally invigorating and for the first time in a long time I feel truly alive.

I have decided that from this moment forward that is exactly what I want to do, I want to strive to feel alive - that doesn't mean that I plan to move country again for a very very very long time, but I am determined to look at all life's experiences and day to day undertakings with a fresh eye like I am experiencing it for the first time, and really embrace the opportunities that I have been given through this move to grow as a person.

One of these opportunities is the meeting of new people - this morning I attended a course run by the National Childbirth Trust (NTC) and once again I was amazed by the woman that I met, the generosity of spirit is incredible and I can honestly say the more I meet these woman the more amazed I am - most of them are totally responsible for running their own households with no help what so ever, and many of them have more than one child at home all the time and yet they always have time for a chat and I have been stunned by their kindness and concern throughout this experience with Nicholas....I have met so many stunning stunning people and although leaving my friends behind was possibly one of the hardest aspects of this move, I have been given such an opportunity to expand my friendships and learn from many of these inspirational people.

It is possibly for this reason that I have been able to make peace with the fact that we will not be returning to South Africa in April....after much soul searching and many long discussions, Simon and I have decided that we have to look forward at this point and April is simply too soon to return to South Africa, the air travel alone will cost over R30 000 and at this time we need to consolidate all our resources and strive towards owning our own home here, and with the average cost of houses in this area ranging between R325 000 and £400 000 we have a long way to go....possibly one of the most difficult decisions we have made so far, but we believe that it is still not goodbye forever and we have resheduled the trip to December 2010 at this stage.

Now I think it is time for me to go to bed, it has been an emotional day and not the easiest one with Nick, I think he has picked up on my stress at having to make the decision about the trip and therefore perhaps disappoint the children and so many people back in South Africa and has been a bit unsettled.....he really is another one of those amazing opportunities to grow, I feel very blessed at this time in my life.

4 comments:

Michelle Ramsay said...

I have been to England in the Winter and the Summer, so I know just what you mean about the distinct weather changes. It can only be an awesome experience living there full time.

I believe you have made the right decision, hard as it may be. As you said before, as long as you are all happy, your life can move forward in a positive way.

It is also helping that you are making such amazing friends and nowdays with technology it is easier to keep in touch.

Keep well

mary said...

was a bit shocked to read that your trip to S.A.for April next year has been postponed as i was just thinking about it this morning.

Must admit,a bit sad as i really miss you guys & was looking forward to seeing you all.Then i remembered that i would be coming to visit in June & that made me feel a bit better.

Am sure your dad must be sad as he will have to wait a long time to see his grandchildren & to meet Nicholas.

On the other side of the coin, I see where you guys are coming from & totally understand & agree with your logic. How did Megan & Phillip take the news?

Well,keep your chin up & know that all your choices & decisions you guys have made have been the right ones for all concerned.

Take care & God bless. Mary

linda andrew said...

well done - good decision as i said to you on the phone yesterday....write a list - way up the pros and cons - which you have done and i believe you made the best decision financially and with your heads - obviously your hearts need time to catch up and allow "them" to grieve the fact that they arent going to be re-united with loved ones for a few more years.....but you know what my friend - we knew this when we left SA we knew the price we were to pay - and this is one of them - blinking hard and yukky and gut wrenching i know - i am so there with you - but as michelle ramsay said - technology is amazing nowdays. hang in there and be at peace knowing you made the correct decision for this stage in your lives.....love you lots and i am at the end of the phone when you need to cry or vent or freak out...love you lots and always will, your sister from another mother, linda

Beryldene said...

Life is all about chapters my friend, or seasons as you call them. And just as the UK weather has such stark contrasts, so do the season's or chapters of our lives sometimes. So going back to "chapters", this one may be called "The right decisions aren't always the easiest one's to make". Allow yourself to feel the frustration and disappointment, and then pick yourself up, dust yourself off, put a smile on your dial, and MOVE ONE. As you always do my friend...oh and don't forget to pat yourself on the back for having the conviction to make the right decision for the greater cause.
Love
Bee