Saturday, 19 June 2010

Saturday 19th June 2010

This year Megs decided that rather than a party she would like to go up to London and see one of the big West End shows with a friend. Thanks to some help from my Dad I was able to oblige her and The Lion King seemed the logical choice.....truly the most magical phenomenal spectacle I have ever seen.



The woman who played Rafiki embodied everything beautiful and colourful about Africa and she had tears rolling down my cheeks literally EVERY time she came out on stage - I have NEVER heard a voice like hers and with its strong South African accent she pulled the part off as if it had been written for her.

The costumes / puppets were out of this world and the lighting was so reminiscent of the African savanna that it took our breath away. Megan sat absolutely still and totally entranced for the entire 2 hours, the fact that we were sharing a huge bag of biltong only adding to the experience

As we sat waiting for the curtain to go up I must confess to feeling slightly surreal, there I was sitting with my daughter and her friend in a my fav city about to watch a show I couldn't afford to take her to in South Africa, let alone with a friend, and now it is our life......such a wonderful experience and a memory we will both treasure.

6 comments:

Rhian Claire said...

Beautiful, glad you had a fabulous time - Happy Birthday Megan. So nice that things like this are part of our lives - we have Jack Johnson in a week - I cannot wait!

Marcelle said...

Sounds like a perfect way to spend your 12th birthday....

linda andrew said...

what an awesome experience ......

Ella Swan said...

I think you will always appreciate everything London has to offer because you won't take it for granted - not having always had it. I know that that is true for me, I marvel at the sea & the malls everyday coming from a landlocked country with no shops!

Beryldene said...

What an amazing experience GF....it's moments like that that are sometimes such AHA moments for us.....lovely that you got to have an African experience in your new home England...best of both worlds:-)

Jenny in Durbs said...

Awesome experience & a wonderful birthday treat. So glad you all enjoyed & may there be many more.