Over the weekend I developed a severe pain in my left jaw so on Monday morning I was off to the dentist to see if they could solve the problem. I have an EXCEPTIONALLY high pain threshold and it seems to have once again let me down - I had missed the initial pain of a tooth abscess and the pain in the jaw was being caused by the root dying due to all the infection. The dentist was unable to complete the emergency root canal due to the infection, but did put a sedative and medicated filling into the tooth and sent me on my way to return next week for them to complete the procedure - pain gone, problem solved or so I thought.
Yesterday morning I woke up feeling very tired and like I told my dad on the phone pretty crappy, but kinda got on, as mother's do, with all the things that need doing, especially without a wonderful maid to help - by 11.30am my headache was pretty severe so when Nick went down for his sleep I joined him, by 2pm I was vomiting my heart out and literally asking relative strangers to bring my children home from school as I was by this time too weak to do anything. Si caught an early train home and managed to get me into an emergency appointment with out doctor - diagnosis: severe toxic shock from from the dental procedure and secondary infection in my blood stream. I am now on very strong antibiotics and feeling stronger, not completely better, but well enough to function with some form of normality.
As my header said, days like yesterday are the real test of immigration - I was literally crying on the phone to Simon, knowing that he was over an hour away and that I had no family around me to look after Nick was very frightening as at times I really felt like I was going to pass out - yes there are many wonderful and exhilarating experiences linked to up and moving your entire life, but when the chips are down I do still think the easy thing to do is to stay where you are in your comfort zone with a full support group around you....does that mean I wish we had never immigrated? NO, but it just reaffirms that this is NOT something to take lightly and as this week has shown it is probably the hardest thing we will ever do.
8 comments:
You poor thing! I had one of those - ended up in hospital for nearly a week. But that was before I had babies.
Wishing you well Andrea - be strong xxx
Oh Andrea glad you feeling a bit stronger & I can only agree with you its very hard to lose your support system even though you are building up a new one. Hope you are back on an even keel soon. Prayers coming your way.
I remember a sea trip that my dh did when my kids were little and I had bronchitis. Being asthmatic this was great fun. I was literally blue in the face, I was living in a foreign country and I was alone with 2 small kids. I was literally too sick even to cry. I am still grateful for that bout of illness though as it taught me to accept the kindness and help of others, not something I do readily. Sometimes you just have to let people love you and trust in their generosity of spirit because one day you'll do exactly the same for someone else in need. Take care friend, get well soon.
horrible nightmare of a situation - but as i said earlier, its a sad reality that our friends and family are very far away and now our new friends have to become both in our lives - set up a back up plan and swop numbers and have these chats so when and if it happens again your children are taken care of and you dont need to worry. really hope you get better soon - hate hearing you ill and suffering
What an awful situation to be in! You probably found Nick to be very good? They seem to sense that you are not on top of things. Good to hear you are on the mend. Go to the Dr earlier rather than later next time - Auntie Jo
Oh I am so sorry to read this! I know all about tooth pain from personal experience! Sounds like it could have ended badly so thank goodness all is well {or at least on it's way to recovery} now...as for the emmigration aspect - I can totally relate to it, even into year 5, I remember knowing NO-ONE when we first arrived & having to employ street tramps to offload our container because we didn't even know how to get hold of a casual labour force & couldn't afford anyone professional! It is really frightening & for the first year I was pretty much a nervous wreck...you have coped wonderfully well though & thank Goodness these awful experiences are few & far between in your life.
Ditto, immigration is not to be taken lightly, after nearly 12 years after immigrating, I still feel totally alone and although we have lots of friends no one is like family.
Oh no,you poor thing. Glad it is getting better. Yes, you can't beat family and friends, but you need to set up a back up system with the wonderful friends you have made over there. Keep well
Post a Comment