Sunday, 21 February 2010

Sunday 21st February 2010

Today I bought the children a Wii as a surprise and it really got me thinking.....

I remember hearing somewhere that it takes between 2 and 5 years to really settle in a country and as our second anniversary here approaches I am beginning to understand what that means - the first year of immigration is very exciting and there is basically an adventure of some kind every day, it is like one long lovely holiday and it is very easy to find the wonder in it all.

The second year is, in my opinion much much harder, missing family and friends becomes the first thing you think about in the morning and is often the last thing you think about before you close your eyes. Life settles down into routine and lots of the excitement passes, problems become evident and without support it can seem a bit like an uphill battle BUT if you can hold onto your pull factors and fight the sadness and frustration and keep seeking the joy, the third year seems to dawn like a beautiful morning filled with light and peace and happiness.

2010 has started wonderfully for Si and I and we really feel like we are finally finding our feet and are no longer bumbling along hoping not to make some kind of catastrophic mistake. We feel like we now understand the English and what it means to live here and our friendships are deepening all the time.

We are finding our feet financially and are able to afford some of the little luxuries that make life more bearable and suddenly items like the Wii which has been on the children's wish list for the last 20 months are not so far out of reach. I am not naive enough to think that all the hard times are gone, I am sure we will encounter lows during the next year, but right now they don't seem quite so scary and I really believe we can continue to overcome them.

I thank God every day for this journey, this adventure, for all its ups and downs and for EVERYTHING we have been through and learned along the way, it is the HARDEST thing I have ever done but has also brought me some of the greatest highs of my life and the sense of accomplishment almost 2 years in is AMAZING.

7 comments:

linda andrew said...

i totally agree with you - well put!!! even if someone had told us all this we needed to LIVE IT to experience it all in order to nod in agreement!!!!

not been an easy journey but like all journeys they have a destination.

so greatfull we are travelling together -

Jenny in Durbs said...

Sounds really fantastic I hope your 3rd year is filled with love & laughter & if there are hardships you will sail over them.

Michelle Ramsay said...

It is your positive attitude and outlook on life that has made things great for you and your family. You are one special person and I am sure they all know that. Have fun with the WII

mary said...

NEVER FOR ONE MINUTE DOUBTED THAT YOU GUYS WOULDN'T SURVIVE UP THERE.YOU ARE & HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A REMARKABLE PERSON & FRIEND.WITH YOUR GUIDANCE & LOVE IT HAS MADE IT MUCH EASIER FOR THE REST OF YOUR FAMILY.I ENVY YOU GO MUCH.

NO MATTER WHERE ONE LIVES,WE ALL HAVE OUR UPS & DOWNS.

MISS YOU TERRIBLY


YOUR FRIEND FOREVER, MARY

Jo said...

Oh dear so that is 22 months for me LOL. But like you said when my stuff is here and then 3 months time my dogs things will start to pick up and then of course I get paid on thurs and its 3 x what i was working for in SA!

Ella Swan said...

I know exactly what you mean Andrea - it was just the same for us - only now - going into year 5 - is there TRULY light really visible at the end of the tunnel. It is always a long haul & definitely improves once the 2 years is over, & it always does seem to really BE 2 years...but it is such a growing thing to do & so rewarding. In fact dare I say I recommend it to everyone lol!

Helga Hansen said...

I feel like an oldie, with my 12th anniversary approaching in April. This family is well and truly settled, and we have never thought we had made a terrible mistake.

Congratulations on your anniversary - a Wii is a fabulous way to celebrate - and I think you would enjoy it as much as the kids!!