Monday, 9 November 2009

9th November 2009

My how things have changed in the last 8 days.....as I sit typing this I am back in my parents home in South Africa and if you had told me a week ago that that was a possibility I would have called you crazy.

Sadly my grandfather passed away very unexpectedly on Wednesday and it is moments like those when the distance seems HUGE and although in the very first moments after the call I didn't plan to return it didn't take me long to realise that for me that wasn't an option and fortunately with the support of my wonderful husband and amazing children I was able to board an Emirates flight on Saturday night to return to Durban.

I will be here for the funeral and to spend time with both my parents and of course some very special friends before returning to England on Sunday.

Life is very short so remember to love and live and though it was your last day!

8 comments:

linda andrew said...

well written my friend, so true what you say ....one never ever ever can predict how long we have here on earth or how long we have our loved ones with us. i firmly believe in telling family and friends how much you love and appreciate them NOW WHILE THEY ARE HERE TO HEAR IT....too late to say it all when they dead and gone. So so glad you decided to go and were able to do so....very comforting for your family i am sure and for your own healing process. missing you so much - my gosh i am on strike from the house work till you back here with me to talk me thru it all - ha ha hee hee. love you lots and have prayed for you all.....my thoughts are with you and especially on wednesday. take care and use the time wisely. i called to check on simon and all is fine and he is a star.....

Rocker 38 said...

Oh Andy, so sad to hear about your Bompa. I remember him having a booming laugh and a huge personality, such a loss for your family. My love to you all, take care, will be thinking about you.

Beryldene said...

such true words gf...

i never knew your Grandad, having only seen him once, but my feelings about him are this...not only did he live a long and happy, productive life, but even in his passing, he managed to create joy and happiness by bringing you back home to us...so we could sit and have tea together this morning, and laugh, just like the good old days, so I LOVE the man, even though I never had the pleasure of knowing him :-)...

The housewife said...

Condolences to you and your family. xx

Jenny in Durbs said...

So sorry to hear your sad news but wonderful to be with your family where you are surrounded by love & support. Enjoy your time here even under the circumstances & travel safely back.

Michelle Ramsay said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of your grandad. I agree that you have to live life and not worry about the little things. Enjoy the special time you have with your family and friends and have a good trip back.

mary said...

HI THERE MY FRIEND.I WAS REALLY SHOCKED TO HEAR THAT YOUR GRANDFATHER HAD PASSED AWAY, ALL SO UNEXPECTEDLY.IT WILL BE STRANGE TO VISIT YOUR FOLKS & HE IS NO LONGER THERE.GLAD THAT YOU MANAGED TO COME DOWN TO BE THERE FOR YOUR FOLKS & ALTHOUGH I ONLY SAW YOU FOR A SHORT WHILE,IT WAS GOOD TO SEE YOU.

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF & SEND MY LOVE TO SIMON & THE YOUNG ONES.LOVE & MISS YOU ALL, MARY

Ella Swan said...

Gee have just read this...so sorry Andrea...I had no idea...by now you should be back in the UK then...a short trip & not so sweet but at least you could make it. {{{Hugs}}}