Being back in South Africa is still slightly surreal and I can't believe that a week ago today I had absolutely NO IDEA that this is what the universe had in store for me....I think the greatest thing that I have taken away from my grandfather's death is that life is so unexpected - in his case it definitely wasn't short, he was 82 when he died, but right to the moment of his death he had no idea what was coming and I have found that a very stark and sobering realisation.
We really don't know what is around the next corner and where we will be an hour, week, day, month or year from now, so we plan for the best and never think about the worst. Boompa's death however has certainly woken me up and I am so glad that I am able to visit South Africa and spend time with the people most important to me, and I hope that I will never forget and slip back into my old ways of always preparing for tomorrow and forgetting to LIVE today.
The preparations for the funeral have all gone smoothly and although the service itself was perhaps not exactly like my grandfather would have wanted, it served its purpose for the living and we were able to say goodbye to a wonderful father, grandfather, great grandfather and friend surrounded by people who cared.
Caio Boompa you will be missed and forever remembered.
4 comments:
well said my friend.....
shew these kiddies use my computer far too much - tee hee hee
So true. One needs to live for the moment and enjoy it. Enjoy the special moments you have with your SA family.
So very true. I always find the distance from my family overwhelming at difficult times like this. When my grandfather died I sobbed uncontrollably for the entire 2 days it took to get me back to Dbn, once there, grieving with my loved ones made it so much better.
Post a Comment