The overland trains in this country are truly amazing (if a wee bit expensive) and I really felt very comfortable strapping my backpack on my back, hoisting my baby onto my hip and setting off on a 4 hour journey cross country. I was lucky enough to have a free seat next to me all the way up so Nick alternately slept on the seat next to me and charmed the other passengers, so really not difficult at all....the trains are equip with toilets and little mini restaurants and bars so breakfast was easily available and I ended up enjoying myself immensely.
Tanya and Sam (her eldest son) met us at the station in Newcastle and we trained it down to her little town about 30 minutes away....the weather was perfect and we spent the afternoon catching up and taking the children for a play in the park. Saturday evening Steve and Tanya treated me to my fav Chicken Corma at the Himalaya (a little Bangladeshi restaurant just down the road from them) and Jennifer (Steve's 22 year old daughter) kindly watched Nick for me so I could enjoy an evening out.



Sunday unfortunately saw Tanya and Tom stricken with a nasty tummy bug that Sam had had earlier in the week and although we all managed a wonderful morning on a glorious warm sunny beach, the afternoon saw Tan forced into bed where she remained for most of the afternoon and night.Although I of course missed the time with her, I was able to spend some quality time with her boys on the pedestrianised road outside her home and it was awesome for me to finally be a part of these boys lives and to be able to bond with them as they are growing up - Tanya and I have been friends for 23 years and as I said to her husband this weekend, our friendship had to almost go on hold while she lived here and I remained in SA but now it is as it should be and we are once again in each other's everyday lives.
After dinner I decided to hit the street and went for a long long walk on the waterfront and was really able to enjoy what a beautiful coastline Whitley Bay is on....it felt a bit South African in the hot evening sun and I really enjoyed the soft sand under my feet. Whitley bay is the Bull's Party and Hen's night capital of the North and the "strip" (road where all the hotels and clubs are situated) was in full swing by the time Nick and I were heading back to Tanya and Steve's.....so much so I encountered my first full frontal public nudity in a very very long time, and I am clearly getting old as it left me speechless for at least an hour (lol).

Monday morning Tanya was feeling much better, so we (Tanya, Jennifer, Sam, Tom, Nicholas and I) set off for a long walk along the beach front in the opposite direction to my walk on Sunday night and as the weather was again glorious it was wonderful to be out enjoying the fresh air. Sadly the time passed too quickly and lunch time saw me back on the train home. Again I had a free seat next to me so it was another peaceful and uneventful trip home and one I wouldn't hesitate to make again in the not too distant future.
It was so lovely to be in the Card's home and to spend time with their family...I was once again treated with such thought and kindness - I just wish Tan and I had had a little bit more time together, we both felt her nasty bug cheated us a bit, but I guess now that we live in the same country I will be able to see her soon and it is not like it is another 3 years till we will be in each others company.
Such a stunning weekend - THANK YOU!
6 comments:
Hello :) I was wondering if you would mind emailing me the photos you took of me and the boys? My email address is jencard@hotmail.co.uk. Glad you had a good weekend, although Im not 22 for 2 weeks and 3 days....don't age me just yet :)
Jen xx
what lovely photos - would like to go there some day. you and your friend have a sisterhood bond which is to be admired and i am thrilled you are able to see each other more often now you living on the same island.
Ooh - I was hoping for a pic of the full frontal - oh well...sounds like you had a lovely weekend & I get very jealous hearing about all your walking about in public (on the streests) AND AT NIGHT!!! and the trains are at least habitable if a bit pricey ;-D
LOL you make me miss the UK!! wonderful photos & it looks really gorgeous. Little Nic is really growing too & he really enjoys life. So glad you had a fun filled weekend - friends are so special to keep contact with.
GF - what stunning pics! Sounds like you and Tanya got some quality time together, albeit not as much as you'd both have liked. But all the more reason to make that trip back there sooner rather than later...
Sounds like the bus ride was just how bus rides should be - leisurely, slow, but sure (to get there - giggle)
B
Stunning photos. That is what makes the UK so special. Sorry about Tanya being sick, but certainly gives a seriously good reason for another visit!!
Post a Comment