Tuesday, 26 May 2009

Sunday 24th May 2009

Today is my 12th wedding anniversary and also 1 year since I boarded a plane for England to join Simon in our new life here together. Now I have to put it on record that Simon and I don't really go in for all this celebrate on a special day kind of thing and really don't do valentines, mother's day, father's day etc etc etc and our wedding anniversary is no exception, we try to show each other that we love each other every day and don't feel the need for a day of celebration....now I KNOW this doesn't work for 99% of the population but it works for us and like Steve Mack (a well know Durban psychologist) said.....we are VERY DIFFERENT so lets just leave it at that :-).

All that said however I thought I would break a little bit with tradition...only a little as I did spend our anniversary away from home with a friend (but that is another post), and jot down the 10 things I love most about this wonderful man I am married to, so here goes.
  1. His loyalty.....when Simon loves you (or even likes you) you can count on him to be in your corner always, no question just commitment and I LOVE that about him.
  2. His adoration of his children....Si is a WONDERFUL father and I fall in love with him all over again every single time I see him playing with Megan, Phillip and Nicholas or just lying on the couch chilling in front of a movie eating popcorn and giggling along with them.
  3. His ability to follow through.....Si never quits, he is a FINISHER and from someone who chops and changes and gets frustrated and hates something and wants to stop I find this ability a HUGE inspiration and wish a little bit of it would rub off on me.
  4. His sense of humour....Simon has a wicked sense of humour and when he is on form can keep me laughing for hours - it is wonderful that so many years into a relationship (18 years we have been together) we are still able to laugh together
  5. The way he looks after himself....Si has always taken care of his body and health and as a man of almost 40 he is still looking good and I often find myself "admiring" him from a distance without being aware who it is ;-)
  6. The way he supports me....Si is one of my biggest fans when it comes to business, and his faith in me helps me to believe in myself.
  7. The way he loves my parents.....Si really sees my mom and dad as family and it is so wonderful to me that he welcomes them into his home and makes it as easy as possible for us to be together.
  8. His honesty....Si says it like it is and sometimes this comes across as harsh, but he is one of the most honest, sincere people I know and his word is his bond
  9. His belief in himself....in some people I guess this could come across as arrogance, but in Si it is more a quiet confidence, he really likes himself and believes that he is a capable, good person which means I don't have to spend my life building him and feeding his ego.
  10. That family is first....no sport, no television program, no friend, no work, in fact not a thing I can think of is more important to Simon then time with his family and he will drop anything and everything to help us or spend time with us.
LOVE YOU BABE....Happy Anniversary xxxx

5 comments:

linda andrew said...

sniff sniff - that was touching - really beautifully put - simon is truly a man worth treasuring and investing time and effort into a realtionship with him - he is with you till death do you part thats for sure.....so happy to hear you so in love and content to be in a relationship with him!

Beryldene said...

eish man....sniff...sniff...splutter...blow into tissue (eeuw)...GF...i LOVE your post, and can vouch for so many of the things you said - and you left out the part where Si had the honour of being called BOY-FRIEND, because he is exactly that to all us girls. I think you two make an AWESOME couple and are a wonderful example to your children of how to build on love, so that it stands the test of time (and a host of other bloody things life tends to throw at us - like EMMIGRATION!!!)
Oh and GF - i have been meaning to tell you this for days now - about the whole "he looks after himself thing"...giggle...saw Justin Timberlake on Oprah last week, and Sabrina pipes up...."Mommy, he looks JUST LIKE SIMON!!!!"...oh GF..did I laugh, but I had to agree!!

Jenny in Durbs said...

Just great - congratulations.

Michelle Ramsay said...

Brilliant and congratulations. Mine is next month!

mary said...

HI THERE.DOESN'T SIMON HAS A "TWIN" BROTHER THAT IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS HE HAS.HE SOUNDS LIKE EVERY WOMENS DREAM.HANG ON TO HIM & TREASURE HIM LIKE GOLD.AM SURE YOUR FEELINGS ARE THE SAME AS HIS.

YOU GUYS WERE MEANT FOR EACH OTHER.

LOVE YOU ALL, MARY