Sunday, 1 August 2010

Saturday 31st July 2010

A rainy morning to match my mood perfectly.....today was Boompa's birthday and it was the first time in 37 years I hadn't started it with singing to him. Not surprisingly I guess, I found myself really missing him and thinking about all the funny, and sometimes quite mad Italian things he used to do.

I was very close to my grandfather, especially as a child when he would spend literally hours allowing me to "model" for him while he patiently wasted rolls and rolls of film to keep me entertained. He was also the only person who would never refuse me polony as a little girl and would take me down to the local tea room to buy more whenever I asked :0).

It is funny how it is the little moments not the big ones we miss, his ability to swear in Italian like no one I have ever heard lol, his passionate LOVE for Ferrari and Formula One and how he used to sleep on the couch in front of the telly with his mouth open wide during the afternoons, the picture of contentment. He loved us all very much even though we weren't his blood relatives and I know that I was EXTREMELY lucky to have had him in my life.

I think the feeling of sadness and separation from loved ones was also exacerbated by the fact that my cousin and only Goddaughter, Sarah Jane, was also married in South Africa today and I wasn't able share such an important moment with her. An inheritance left to us all by Boompa facilitated Sarah's wedding of her dreams and I think it was the perfect tribute that she now shares the happiest day of her life with such a significant person to us all.

Fortunately, although I found myself tearful at times I was still able to find fun and excitement in the day as we prepared for the Viljoen's Bollywood party in celebration of Rob's 35th birthday. Kerry and Rob had arranged me a Sari on ebay and on arriving at the house we were transformed into something very reminiscent of a Bollywood set.


Rob had draped a huge Gazebo with fabric and that together with Lamb curry and naan breads set the scene perfectly. My spirits lifted tremendously and I found myself thinking just how much Boompa would have enjoyed all the people and the wonderful meal and in some way it was like a little celebration for him as well. Such a super evening to a slightly sad day - once again WONDERFUL friends to the rescue!

3 comments:

Jenny in Durbs said...

You have lovely memories & they are precious and will last a lifetime & just think you are making memories with your famly now. Hugs xx

Beryldene said...

What a lovely post my friend...

i soo soo soo feel your heart, as I miss my Gran TERRIBLY EVERYDAY....

I could FEEEL your love as you reminisced about the moments you shared with this special man....

I'm so glad you had something joyful in the way of laughs and fun to distract you....looks like it was just what you needed...

Love Bee

Kerstin said...

I can understand you soooo well - my granddad died 2 years ago and I still miss him to bits - cannot think about him without tears coming ... Granddads are special -
thinking of you - great post to read
hugs