Saturday, 4 July 2009

Saturday 4th July 2009

I simply don't know where this year is going to....it seems like just the other day Mom and I were planning her trip in secret for Megan's birthday (January) and now we are already 2 weeks into her visit and time is just flying by.

We have had a stunning time so far....not really DOING anything in the traditional touristy sort of way, but Mom has helped me catch up on washing and finished my ironing and kept me company while I clean toilets and showers and watched Nick so I can shoot to the shop for milk, we have shopped for household essentials and put up picture hooks and little things around the house....things that I usually do on my own, and it has been MAGICAL having her here, I think in fact I may even be having more of a holiday then she is.

Now that Mom is here , I can honestly say that the toughest part of immigration for me has to have been doing EVERYTHING on my own and for myself with very little support. On Mom's last visit I had only been here 8 weeks so it wasn't as noticeable as I was still in the "honeymoon" phase of the experience and hadn't had a tiny baby as part of the equation.

In fact it was not until I was able to jump in the car and take something to Phillip at school without having to first wake Nick and put him in the car that I really realised just how on our own we have been....we are not unique in this, there are millions of people all over the world doing it on their own, but that doesn't make the experience any easier and it is just so nice to be able to chill and not be quite so capable, even if it is just for a little while.

6 comments:

Rhian Claire said...

hello - just to let you know that I am still popping in here even though I have not left comments - wantd to chat - please email me on rhian.mcgeer@sky.com CHeers

The housewife said...

Enjoy :)

Ella Swan said...

I can relate completely...we had not a soul here to help with anything for a couple of years before I made a friend I could count on (Jax) now she is planning her emmigration :-(

Cheryl Goodenough said...

Hi Andrea. I know just what you mean. Fortunately also making friends and have offers from two families if we need someone to babysit, or even just to give someone else's number in case of an emergency!

Michelle Ramsay said...

It is amazing you you learn to manage on your own. Not nice, but I think you learn to appreciate so much more. Enjoy your special moments with your mom.

Beryldene said...

you are so right my friend...it's the ties of relationships that make distance of any kind the hardest to deal with...

On the flip side of that, and there always is a flip side, learning to cope on our own is also liberating and reminds us of what we're made of, and what is possible in life!