Saturday, 18 April 2009

What we will do for our children, scrapping vs blogging and a few more firsts

I am beset with a sick baby at the moment and as I sit having just wiped his snotty nose on the hem of my pj top in the absence of anything more suitable at hand I find myself marveling at just what we will do for our children that we would do for no one else (the above example included lol)......Don't know about the rest of you but I have been known to (1) eat their half chewed offerings of food (2) catch their vomit in my hands rather then have it end up on the floor/car etc (3) share my toothbrush with them when arriving on holiday and discovering they have left theirs at home (4) give up hours upon hours of sleep so that they may sleep well (5) give them my last bite of chocolate (think that may be the worst of all lol) and the list just goes on and on......

The reward for all this "unconditional" love is often whinny, sometimes grumpy, occasionally mouthy individuals who treat us like their personal servants - and you know what WE LOVE IT and WE LOVE THEM, there is simply nothing in the world to replace the act of parenthood and all of our actions are rewarded with one smile or a cuddle just before bed when their hair is brushed and smelling of fresh shampoo....so for me I am happy to go on doing the unmentionable things parents do and count myself grateful every single day for the miracle that are my three children.

Part of this thought process about children brought me to the chronicling of our lives together and just how important I have found my scrapbooking in the past.....that is until now and the discovery of blogging that is - as my friend B said the other day, blogging is the ultimate form of journaling and as a passionate believer in journaling I totally agree with her - no scrapbook could capture and convey our experiences over the last 9 months as this blog has and I intend having it printed and bound at the end of the year complete with all the photos and I really believe that I will have no need to scrap a page as a result......so it is not without sadness that I hang up my scrapbooking hat - will I scrap again? I really don't know, I just know that for now my "itch is being scratched" and although I am not quite ready to get rid of all my scrapping paraphernalia I certainly have no urgency to use them either and that I must be honest is something I just never thought would happen.

So in the interest of the above comment I need to detail a few more first since we have been in England

It is the first time I have eaten brussel sprouts and sweet potato (no not together) and enjoyed them

It is the first time that I have been able to live my dream and work with proper photographic studio equipment

It is the first time I have packed up an entire house totally on our own...there I go missing Rose again (lol)

It is the first time I have raised a baby without the continued support of family - and let me tell you that is no small feat....roll on mom's next visit.

4 comments:

Rhian Claire said...

Hiya - I can so relate to this - BUT, yes there is a BIG but! We are a couple of months further in our journey and now there is a place for scrapbooking in my life! It will NEVER take over my life like in SA but there will always be a place for my treasured memories and I find that there are still things that don't land up on the blog but need to be journaled for SOMEONE somday! I so love reading your blog you are always an inspiration and a reminder of how far we have all come! Enjoy your children, enjoy LIFE, enjoy your photography! Carry on telling your family story - the sun in shining and the sky is blue so I am off for a cliff walk - ever want to visit Wales you are always welcome! Claire www.mcgeers.blogspot.com

Ella Swan said...

Can relate to that last first - that's been me each & every time x 4 - not easy! Just LOVED this post - what we do as parents...the mind boggles! I also want to get my blog printed on a yearly basis - do you know who does it? I have to say (sooooooooooo tentatively)that I just may agree with you - in part - on the scrapping v/s blogging saga - I have found such fulfillment in blogging that the scrapper's mania has gone - I have been trying so hard to keep it alive for 6 months - but truthfully that manic urge has left me & now I'm wondering if I actually want it back,lol! Another serious consideration is the time it takes & the insincerity (ironically) of the industry, not to mention the expense of it all...Practically speaking it is just NOT POSSIBLE to document your entire life & that of 4 or 5 others and still HAVE A LIFE worth documenting ...only hesitation I have is the enormous cash investment made...

Rocker 38 said...

You know that the scrapping bug never bit me so I don't really understand the overwhelming need to do it but I do understand the need to reflect and chronicle the changes that happen in our lives. I also understand the need to be creative and that it can take different forms at different stages of my life. Blogging may well fulfill both those needs for you as your life is at present, but your old friend, the Scrapping bug, will probably come back to you at another time in your life. Please, whatever you do, do not give up blogging in favour of scrapping and leave the rest of us out in the cold! Your blogs are awesome and my day is not the same without one. They remind me that there are always more important things in this madness that is my life and that everyone faces the same challenges albeit in a different form. Keep blogging!!

Jo said...

Hi ditto most of the above. I have not really scrapped for the last 2 years due to blogging. I prefer blogging and its way cheaper and more sincere somehow. Congrats on the successful 'shoots'