Sunday, 23 August 2009

Sunday 23rd August 2009

Nicholas has been running a nasty temperature since Friday so we decided to postpone our trip North by a day and instead of leaving yesterday we head off at 4am this morning. Unfortunately Nick wasn't the happiest camper for the first hour or so and I think both Si and I had some fairly serious doubts about the 6 hour trip to Whitley Bay, but finally around 5am he settled down and we made good time to York - the first stop on our holiday.

In an attempt to (a) break the trip and (b) allow the children to experience some of this wonderful country we are living in I had booked tickets for us to visit the Jorvik Viking Centre and archaeological dig in York, a well know and very historical town about 380 kms from home. I had visited this Viking attraction in 1995 when Mom and I toured England together and have some very fond memories of the experience and I am delighted to say that if anything it has improved and the children particularly enjoyed the digging for real artifacts under the instruction of an archaeologist.



A couple of hours spent out of the car did everyone the world of good and the second 2.5 hour leg to Whitley Bay passed uneventfully (so my plan had worked). We arrived at Tanya's around 4ish and enjoyed watching the smaller children riding bikes out on the pedestrianised area in front of Tanya's house while she cooked us a beautiful roast pork dinner complete with home made yorkshire pud...yummy is an understatement.



Early to bed tonight for all I am sure and looking forward to a lovely day tomorrow....oh the bliss of holidays :0)

7 comments:

Gill said...

Enjoy! That Nick is SUCH a cutie!!

Anonymous said...

We loved the pics of the children doing their various things..stunning photo of Nick zooming around on the bike !!! Mention of York and the viking village also stirred up some fond memories of our 1995 holiday. We had such fun

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos Andrea - Nick is looking sooooo cute.xx

Michelle Ramsay said...

Sounds like you all had fun and Nicholas' face certainly tells a great story.

SA Expats said...

So cute!

mary said...

HI MY FRIEND.MUST HAVE BEEN SO GREAT DO BE ABLE TO GO VISIT A PLACE WITH ONE OF YOUR OWN CHILDREN, EVEN IF IT OVER SO MANY YEARS.THE KIDS ARE LOOKING GREAT & CAN'T BELIEVE HOW BIG NICHOLAS HAS GROWN.

HOPE YOU GUYS HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY.

MISS YOU STACKS. MARY

Beryldene said...

GF - i love the pics of your boy...he's stolen the show again...I'm afraid the rest of the post is a bit of a blur....LOL!