It has been a week of more stones then diamonds for me and I have found myself feeling flat and frustrated, snapping at the children and muttering under my breath at Simon's actions. Realising that this behaviour and indeed the emotions that accompanied it were new and not necessarily something that I wanted to continue, I tried some of Bee's soul searching and that together with looooooong telephone conversations to Linnie finally brought me to the conclusion that it was the eminent arrival of my birthday that had me is such a bad state.
It is funny how I expected the destabilising effect of a big event like Christmas and as it was something that the whole family was going through together I felt I needed to be "strong" in order to help them through it. I was therefore totally unprepared for the effect my birthday would have, and in fact for the most part I didn't even realise it was having an effect, I just knew I felt horrid. I guess the break from routine and the customary dinner with my parents, the roast with bacon cabbage and Afrikaans beans and some delish pud to follow had me reeling, and it was only after I recognised this fact and made the conscious decision to pull myself together did my week start to improve.
Times like this just reemphasise for me the impact immigration truly has on ones life and you can be happy for months and months and months on end when suddenly something takes the wind from your sails and leaves you feeling totally deflated........I do believe however that each and every one of us has it within to stop, take a breath and move forward and that successful immigration is a decision, it is not something that just happens.
I have also learned a tremendous amount about myself through this process and have grown to like and respect the woman that I am. This comment is in no way meant to sound conceited, but this peace with myself has been a hard won prize and I thank God every single day of my life that we started on this journey for no matter where it ends, here or back in South Africa, we have all learned so much about ourselves and that is why I believe our immigration has been a success....it is because we have grown as people and has nothing to do with the amount of time that we have been away from home.
So it was with a happy and replenished heart that I awoke this morning to the sounds of my children and dh singing happy birthday and the smell of freshly cooked bacon and brewing coffee.....breakfast in bed was the order of the morning and then after a call from my parents we were off to Thorpe Park to recapture my youth and find the inner child again.
Or so I thought..........God and Aunty Madge (aka the bus) clearly had different ideas and about 10 minutes from our destination (75kms from home) Aunty Madge started to splutter and we only just managed to steer her off the M25 before she stalled completely which is never a good sign, but particularly in a fully automatic car.
As luck would have it I had received so many text messages from friends for my birthday that my mobile phone battery had gone flat and the dead screen meant we had absolutely no access to the contact details of the people who would be most likely to help......the Viljoens!
However, God was on our side and for some bazaar reason my Megan had included my friend Catherine's phone number in her mobile and it was with great relief that I reached Catherine and started the ball rolling as far as getting Kerry and Rob's number was concerned. I have to also put in at this stage that Catherine is fast becoming one of my friends I call in a crisis and I count myself very lucky the day she stopped me to tell me my brake lights weren't working.
It goes without saying that before long Rob was on his way to rescue us (again), but he was a full 90mins away so my little family set up camp on the side of the road (you aren't allowed to stay in your stationary car on the motorways here) and prepared to sit it out. The wind was blowing quite heavily and it was cold (fortunately I had taken advice from Lin ages ago to always keep two blanket in our car in the winter so at least we had those), but apart from that discomfort I must say we felt very safe and it didn't cross our minds for even a minute that we were in any kind of danger.
Before long we received a call from the Road Agency responsible for that section of road to find out where exactly we were and to our surprise they turned up not long after to check that we had a safe position to wait and gave us a space blanket to keep the children warm and offered to return with food and water for the children in two hours if Rob hadn't arrived. To say we were totally amazed is an understatement....def a first world experience.
Finally Rob arrived and we hooked the cars together to begin the long tow home, unfortunately about 15 mins in the weight ratio between the cars proved too much and the tow ring pulled out of the back of Rob's car leaving my dh without breaks on a hill....fortunately he didn't panic and just used the handbrake, but it gave me such a fright I think I turned 86 in that instant.To cut a very very long, sad and exhausting story short we finally made it home and organised a tow company to fetch the car, when Si returned to meet them the police were there with a fine as our MOT had expired, unbeknown to us and without MOT the towers won't tow so as I type my poor husband is on the side of the road waiting for a flat bed to come and fetch the car and God alone knows what that is going to cost......so all in all my birthday has been shocking and I will gladly close my eyes on it tonight - maybe there was a reason I had such a bad feeling about it all week.
10 comments:
My dear friend,what an awful birthday.If it is any consolation, you were in my thoughs the whole day.Hope you received you birthday card as well as your sms i sent you.Don't worry, next year will be much better.
Love & miss you guys very much.See you soon.Love Mary
Hoah!!! What a story...Firstly tho" Happy Birthday!!! Secondly, try to cheer up - easier said than done I know - we are all in a bad place at the moment it would seem. I have been in SA 3 years now & at certain times, despite the awfulness of Zim right now, there are things I miss. I have accepted that I don't think that will ever change. I look at emmigration much like a death (leaving your country for another) you will always mourn it, even if only at certain times, and that's okay. You learn to keep going & you enjoy your new experiences but your brain & heart never obliterate your past experiences, which is a good thing, those are our memories & they make us who we are...When you are feeling cheerier I would love to see out interview on your blog, you can collect your questions off mine (a few posts ago) ;-)
Certainly a birthday you will never forget! Sorry to hear it went so 'off road' but Happy Birthday to you anyway! May next year be less stressful.
xx
Having spoken to you since this awful experience,pleased to hear that everything has turned out fine and you are all on track again.Although it must have been awful,some positive things have come out of it and one thing that you know for sure....you have got some WONDERFUL friends over there.Keep your chin up and keep moving forward, no matter how slowly.
What a terrible experience on your Birthday. I bet you would not have that smile on your face if you were stranded here in S.A. (sorry)
Hope you had a better day today.
Thanks for sharing your day to day experiences with us. I really enjoy visiting yur blog.
OH WOW - WE HAVE ALL GONE THRU THIS TOGETHER!!! Not lekker - so unfair - but you know as i always say - count your blessings - nobody was hurt and it is ONLY a car int he bigger picture of life - blinking expensive day you had - but it will end and all will be fine and you will both come out of this experience better stronger people...if that is at all possible - love you all -love and support, linda
Whew what a day but Happy Birthday to you anyway. The best thing is you all got on with the experience and have to be a little bit stronger after that (a bit poorer maybe but all intact.) Life is a challenge & its how we accept & deal with these challenges along the way that makes us what we are. You can really look forward to next year & it'll be a great one !!!! Hope you new week will be a fantastic one.
Wow, your Birthday might have been "shocking" but it's certainly memorable! That's one heck of an experience - could never have happened in good old SA - can you imagine sitting (smiling) on the side of the N2? Not to mention the help from the road agency. Remember, your year can only get better! Isn't that a great thought. Happy year ahead Andrea.
Happy birthday and wow, what an experience, certainly not one to have here in SA (sorry, but true!). At least that will be a birthday to remember!! Glad all okay now.
Happy birthday my friend. Sorry I didn't get to wish you on Saturday but I had no internet access. Sorry to hear that your day had its trials but am so proud of you for coming out of it stronger and wiser. If the same had happened in Bots, we'd still be sitting there! A couple of donkeys, ten or so cows and a flock of Hornbills would have been the only help we'd get! Some of the roads are so isolated here that you'd sit there for days without anyone coming past! I am grateful though that we'd be safe. I still struggle daily to think that if I look to the other side of the river at the bottom of my garden, I am staring straight into SA. We may as well be on the other side of the continent for all the horrors that face South Africans on a daily basis. Hang in there, you are strong, capable, adaptable and above all, loved.
Post a Comment