Monday, 30 March 2009

Monday 30th March 2009

Another week has just flown by and I find that either I have nothing to post due to the normal routine of day to day life or things suddenly go completely crazy and within a matter of days things have been so hectic that I just don't have time to post.

A quick catch up on the week......

TUESDAY involved lots of cleaning and catch up washing from the weekend YUK so really nothing to report there except for the fact that if you have a maid go and kiss her quickly - I know at one stage I glibly said that housework isn't soooooo bad - well I lied, it is horrific and the novelty is DEFINITELY wearing off.

WEDNESDAY must have passed in a bit of a blur as I can't remember one single thing about it, although that probably has a lot to do with the fact that young Nick has settled into a lovely routine of waking at 12, 2, 4 and 6am - lovely if you are a young almost 8 month old baby that is and absolutely horrific if you are his mother.

THURSDAY was off to Cuckoos with Nick in the morning and then home to just try and catch up......haven't had much chance to work on the photos from the first Tums 2 Tots photoshoot and as I had another one coming up on Saturday decided I better get my act together.

FRIDAY (now this is where the fun starts) had an early morning appointment with an estate agent from Leaders to look at a 3 bedroom flat in Lindfield which was on the market for £895 per month. I have to be honest and say I wasn't really holding out much hope as I have seen so many properties since November in that price range and without exception they have been a disappointment, but in the interest of keeping my eyes open I once again made the appointment and off I went.

I am SO glad that I did, by now you have probably guessed that I fell totally head over heels in love and was so desperate to secure the lease and remove the property from the market that I went ahead and paid a £320 pound deposit on my South African credit card without even speaking to Simon as he was in a conference in London all morning and there was another couple very keen on the flat and I simply couldn't loose it.

I then spent a very anxious 3 hours chatting to anyone I could think of on the phone in order to stop myself wondering what Si's reaction would be considering he didn't even know I was going to look at a property, let alone rent it. Fortunately all is well that ends well and my beloved dh, although a little shocked at first, accepted my judgement and agreed to view the property on Saturday afternoon.

Spent a lovely Friday evening with Hilary and Romy from my "mom's group". Hils invited us to her home for dinner and it was simply stunning to sit around the table and chat and enjoy delish food without having to worry about the babies.

SATURDAY was the day of my second Tums 2 Tots photoshoot and with 4 bookings I was looking forward to a lovely productive afternoon. I thoroughly enjoyed all 4 sessions and am pleased with the results.

3.30pm Saturday afternoon was "D Day" or at least that is what if felt like to me as that was the time of the appointment for Si and the children to view the new property for the first time. It is 1st floor flat in an converted Victorian home....it has a funky modern kitchen with big doors opening onto a private terrace (basically verandah), a large light spacious lounge with a beautiful bay window, 3 bedrooms (two of which are in the loft much to the children's delight I am pleased to say) and a bathroom with stand alone shower and bath (quite something in England I have to tell you as due to small spaces most showers are over the baths)......anyway to my great relief Si liked the property and agreed to go ahead with the lease.

SUNDAY Si and I decided to go and do some computer shopping as we have been trying to get a new computer for ages and finally agreed to go to our closest electronics shop and have a look for a new laptop as a stop gap to the Mac that I want and the gaming windows tower that he wants.

Came home the very happy owners of a new Dell laptop which I am very very happily typing this entry on now. Amazing how a new computer really shows just how old and out of date the existing one has become......but it served a vital and wonderful purpose for the last year and is now going to be retired to the children's "playroom" so that we don't have to fight about internet time anymore.

Today I am starting to deal with the logistics of our move which will happen on 25th April 2009 and then off to Wakehurst for a much needed walk with some friends before fetching children and starting the whole cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing routine again.

20 comments:

Rocker 38 said...

What a beautiful looking property - I am truly jealous! We just don't see such nice character properties in this neck of the woods. We wish you a very happy time in your new home! It looks wonderfully homely!

The housewife said...

That looks lovely Andrea - really cozy!

mary said...

hi there my friend.So happy that you have found a place that you like.Please post more pictures of it if you have.

Less than 11 weeks & i will be there,visiting you in your new home.Good luck with the moving.

Am sure you are thrilled to have bought a new laptop.I know how I felt when I got my flatscreen computer screen.Love it to bits.

Keep well & see you soon.Love to Simon & the kids. Lots of love Mary

Jenny in Durbs said...

Looks gorgeous and good luck with the move. Your last blog re standards had me chuckling,South Africans(in general) are very materialistic (i can see I am going to be in for trouble here but sorry its true)& are often worried about appearances and what others think. All that counts is you&your family are happy & content.

Michelle Ramsay said...

Your new place looks divine and I am sure you all can't wait to move in. Well done you your new computer, I am sure you are going to have many good blogging hours on it.

Jo said...

Ditto Jenny in Durbs, at least you dont have to worry if you break down in your sensational scenic, you will be safe. Your new home looks interesting, if one doesnt have pets who needs the worry of a garden, how many flats in the house?

Andrea said...

Hi Joanne, welcome back, haven't heard from you in ages :-) WRT the house, there are 4 flats in total and a lovely big communial garden at the back so although no pets allowed there is plenty of space for the children to run around which is fantastic.
xxx
A

Jacqui said...

Looks so nice Andrea, surely the move will be worth it. Just goes to proove that you have to keep on looking til you find something! Glad the tums 2 tots is taking shape. will be looking out for the new blog.

Mel said...

Shame you didn't just move back to South Africa. Came accross your blog and read it, really shame on you, coming over here and then spending all your time with South Africans and talking about them - really just go back to there - and get a life if the British are not good enough for you then bugger off!

Lisa said...

Hi Andrea :)
Layla Rose arrived two and a half weeks early!! At almost 5 weeks now, I have found the sanity and time to check my blog for the first time in yonks -- and saw your lovely message on last entry :) THANK YOU - it really warmed my heart! I really hope we get the chance to meet!!! Here are some pics of our little girl: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lisarobertsart/LaylaRose
Lots of love, Lisa x PS. Can't wait to catch up on all my reading I missed on your blog!

Anonymous said...

With reference to the comment from Mel,whoever she is.It is a shame that having come across Andreas blog and reading it she chose to post a comment that was unfair and unkind.She obviously knows nothing about Andreas life and therefore should keep her negative comments to herself.
You have a large number of supporters Andrea and we all look forward to your posts.Keep them coming!!!

The housewife said...

In my experience only people ignorant of expat living make comments such as Mel's. People who have never quite made it outside of their own comfort zone and thus they can not relate to the emotions and needs that other expats go through.

Take for example the large British community living in Spain - Costa Blanca or Marbella. Now they understand what it's like to be an expat. Just look at how they seek fellow British citizens out - even open their own schools. Wonder how they would react to Mel's ignorant comment?

Time to expand your sense of compassion Mel.....

Beryldene said...

OK now REALLY - sorry but who the heck is MEL???...UM - I can tell you this much - she was obviously SPEED READING when she missed the DOZENS of entries where you extole about the wonderful British people you have met and made friends with, and your delight at how friendly and helpful they are ...I just HAD to laugh OUT LOUD (sorry Mel!..I'm BLUSHING for you - it is rather embarrassing when you realise you've TOTALLY missed the point). GF your blog is SOOOO positive about your experience with England and it's people??????...um..what is this little chicken smoking??????

Beryldene said...

PS - I love love love that you finally have your character home - awesome my friend - another new experience!

Ella Swan said...

Bugger off to you too Mel!!! What are you smoking??? Phew...apart from that I am speechless,lol!!! ;-(
Have totally forgotten what I was going to say I am so shocked...

linda andrew said...

MEL - who the hell are you to comment like that - you clearly dont know andrea - and boy am i glad we dont know someone like you - identify yourself if have the balls to do so - lets chat - email me on lindaandrew1@hotmail.com - and in future keep your stupid uncalled for comments to your self.
LINDA ANDREW
(MEL I AM WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU)

Mel said...

My point exactly - all of you, very rude South Africans! Clearly not at all fond of the British, just as we are not so fond of you wild lot with your bad manners! Living in a flat in the UK with 3 children will be a nighmare - especially for the poor neighbours! Oh, and by the way Linda, this IS a free country and I am free to leave comments as I chose. If you are going to write about your life for the world to read you have to expect negative comments too or else why bother!

Andrea said...

Hi Mel, as the owner of this blog I have decided that it is now my turn to get involved, I have stayed out of it believing in freedom of speech, and my many friends and supporters (not all of which are South African) have certainly let you know how unfairly you have judged this blog and me.

However, you clearly have nothing kind or constructive to say and contrary to what you may think, this is not an open blog and not advertised....it is a private and personal account of my journey through immigration and the wonders, excitements, trials and sometimes difficulties that it brings, I have chosen to share it with likeminded people and would appreciate it if you would not visit again.

You are the first English person that I have felt a negative thought towards and I am extremely glad that I have not met anyone else like you since I have been here.

If you had taken the time to read the entire blog you would see that I have many many wonderful English friends and have only nice things to say about this country.....you have clearly had a negative experience with a South African but maybe you should try not to judge us all by that just as I promise not to judge all English as the bitter, nasty and unfriendly person you seem to be.

Please don't bother to comment as I am going about ensuring that you are blocked from this blog.

Jo said...

Phew Andrea, you are always so incredibly eloquent, Mels comment seems so uncalled for, she really has not 'read' your blog. And you are still so 'nice' to her inviting her to contact you directly. But lets face it, she has obviously had a rough time with someone, maybe lost a job to a S.A. or something like that. I think you are a fantastic ambassador for their/your country.

Dianne said...

whew!!!! Andrea, I ditto Joanne's comments entirely. You should let the so called "Mel" have her say, we pity her, maybe she got no friends and been booted off all other blogs for her rudeness. we enjoy reading about your journey, your ups and downs, definately more ups right now. enjoy your new home. (hugs)