Tuesday, 8 March 2011

Tuesday 8th March 2011

Meggie started the long process of correcting her teeth today with a 30 minute appointment at the St Faith's Sedation Clinic in East Grinstead. This morning was about removing her two remaining baby teeth and sorting out a root canal on one of her permanent teeth in preparation for her braces in April this year.

We have been on the NHS waiting list for the last 21 months whilst Megs "came of age" and now that she is nearly 13 all the work can begin....it will take approximately 5 years to complete the treatment and give her a Hollywood smile and I sometimes can't believe that because she is under 18 we won't have to pay a cent....approximately £12 000 of treatment if we were doing it privately. Si and I will need to pay for her implants after she turns 18 and her jaw stops growing in order to complete the treatment, but it will be so worth it and considering it is our only contribution we certainly aren't complaining.

Megs was born with 5 teeth missing from her jaw (7 if you include her Wisdom Teeth) and this coupled with very small teeth has meant that she has exceptionally wide gaps and feels very self concious when smiling. This hereditary condition comes from Si who is missing two teeth and has the same microdontitis but sadly Megan's condition was exhasabated by the number of antibiotics she received as a child for her habitual ear infections.

5 comments:

Lynette Jacobs said...

Woohoo! She must be so excited...treatment like that is sadly lacking back here in SA...unless you have megabucks.

Marcelle said...

Wow now that is a saving ~ are you not glad you living in the UK for this ( and of course many other things...) hehehe

Valkyrie said...

I had the opposite problem at her age - too many teeth for my mouth - so I had 5 extractions (and two GA surgeries to remove extra teeth in my gums) when I was 12 and then had braces from 13-15. Totally worth it!

Beryldene said...

hey gf...the start of a long but necessary road. So awesome that your area provides you the support you need.....we are on the same journey with our two....in my next life I am SO COMING BACK as an ORTHODONTIST!!

Jenny in Durbs said...

Wonderful for Megan (she is beautiful anyway !) but so worth it. I loved your Edinburgh photos - they were great. I love Edinburgh winter summer or spring just something about it. Have a great week.