Tuesday, 15 March 2011

Tuesday 15th March 2011

The tide has turned and the antibiotics are working, I am still coughing horribly and due to a pulled muscle at the top of my abdomen it isn't the most wonderful experience, but at least my heart rate is coming down and I am starting to feel a little more like myself.

On a more interesting note, late last week I finally decided the time for procrastination had come to an end and I needed to secure Nicholas a nursery placement for the new academic year. I managed to find a place at a really nice little nursery not far from our home with space available immediately and Nick had his first settling in session there on Monday.....well last night I suddenly had a panic attack (not helping my heart rate lol) about the fact that my heart is with Montessori and was I just settling by putting Nick into the little school I had found.

Needless to say, breathless as I am, I was working the phones before 8am this morning and am DELIGHTED to say that I have secured Nick two afternoon sessions (from 1-6pm) a week starting immediately and moving to 1 afternoon and 2 morning sessions (8am - 1pm) from September at our local Montessori and I am OVER THE MOON.

Nursery or Preschool is a little different in the UK to what we have been used to in SA and I must say I was more than a little pleasantly surprised to find out that Nick's fees until he turns 3 are tax deductible and after he turns 3 the Government will pay for a maximum of 15 hours a week (term time only) with us only having to make up the difference if we choose to send him for longer sessions. The extra fees will still be tax deductible and at Si's current tax rate it almost halves the actual cost to our family of his education. I have always thought in SA if mobile phones and fuel are tax deductible as necessary to earn a living why on earth wasn't child care and was quite chuffed to find out it wasn't a completely illogical notion.

Feeling much better now that I know Nick has a spot at school as he is really really ready and will have his first settling in session there on Wednesday next week. Another major milestone achieved!

4 comments:

Beryldene said...

my friend that is WONDERFUL news about Nick Nick ...yet another milestone that serves as a reminder of what huge strides your family have made in England...SO glad you are on the mend:-)....although would so love to be able to stop in with a mag and my Bee tea:-)

linda andrew said...

good news - he will love school - nice to have him into a place you happy with the learning styles and ways - let me know how he gets on.....

Jenny in Durbs said...

You always bounce back & you give such a positive example. Glad for Nick its exciting for you too. Hoping you feel wonderful by the weekend.

Lynette Jacobs said...

That is lovely that you have found a place you love for Nick...sjoe, I wish we could deduct education from tax.