Sunday, 13 February 2011

Sunday 13th February 2011

Si returned home from work on Friday with a stiff neck and feeling a little bit grim, assuming it was just a touch of flu, he took some paracetamol and had an early night. Saturday was more of the same and by this morning he was completely unable to move his neck.

Faced with the prospect of a maximum 4 hours wait at our local A&E department we decided to try and ring our local emergency doctor instead. Now having been confronted continually by negative comments about the inefficiency of the NHS I wasn't holding out much hope to be honest, and was pleasantly surprised when my call was answered (in person and not by an electronic voice) after just a few rings and a very pleasant and efficient lady handled my call.

Si was listed as urgent and within 20 minutes I had been called back by a doctor and Si had an appointment scheduled at our local emergency surgery. We arrived at 9.20am (appointment was 9.30am) where shown straight in and 10 mins later Si had a diagnosis of severe neck spasms, a prescription in hand and an instruction to see his GP in the morning to be referred for intensive physio therapy.

So as for inefficiency....well not in our experience....in fact I think it is the fastest I have EVER been seen by a doctor.

Am trying to potty train Nick at the moment which is making for a slightly manic weekend between playing nurse and cleaning accidents but hey ho, better to be busy then bored they say lol

1 comment:

Jenny in Durbs said...

Sounds hectic & I am so pleased you had such a positive experence. I see my glass always half full & I am so sure it makes a difference. Hope Si is better soon & good luck with Nic it takes me back in time lol.