Thursday, 21 April 2011

Thursday 21st April 2011

PERFECTION....that is the only way to describe today...I know it sounds gushy and a little bit OTT, but we honestly had the most STUNNING day. Most of the UK is experiencing a mini "heatwave" at the moment and we are being blessed with huge big blue skies, cool gentle breezes and temps averaging in the mid twenties.

The children and I left home a little after 9am this morning to make the 1 hour 40 minute trip east to the stunning historic town of Rye and its gorgeous blue flag beach, Camber Sands. Whenever we do these trips to areas previously unexplored I am struck by what a beautiful part of the country we live in.

Si tends to get a bit frustrated that most places have to be reached by windy country roads as opposed to big, fast moving motorways, but I just LOVE it...our trip today took us past bright green meadows dotted with newly born lambs, vibrant yellow mustard fields and woods literally carpeted in bluebells.....simply breathtaking and the beauty certainly made for a very pleasant journey, well that and the loud music as the children and I all sang ourselves stupid to pass the time :0)

Camber Sands is as lovely as we had been promised and we very easily passed 6 hours sitting on the sand sharing time with our lovely friends, Amanda and her children Talisa, Bailin and Myla.

As I have often said before Amanda has become a very dear friend to me over the last months and time with her is always a tonic for the soul. Sadly for me their family is moving another hour further away from us next weekend and so we won't get to spend as much time together, but we already have some lovely memories and although they will be further apart I am certain we will continue to have some special visits in the future.


Days like today never fail to make me eternally grateful to my husband for the fact that I have been exclusively a stay-at-home mom since arriving in this country....spending time focused exclusively on my children, making special memories is a gift I didn't even know I wanted in SA and yet it has turned out to be the greatest gift of all!

6 comments:

Valkyrie said...

I am not a beach person, but I think, I could become one, when the daylight hours, and sunlight are far more precious, and when you don't nearly die of heat at 35+ degrees. Yes, I think I could do the beach at mid to low twenties - especially one as beautiful (and clean and safe!) as that one :) can't wait for the kids to be able to enjoy a 'trip to the seaside' the way it was intended. LOVE this post.

Marcelle said...

I love the beach but while in UK I struggled to adjust to the *dirty* sand compared to the beautiful white sand in Cape Town....
Lovely photo's of your family and friends...glad you had a good day.

Andrea said...

Must say Vanessa there were times on that beach when it felt about 30 degrees, the low temps feel much much hotter here, but it was just the most glorious day and the beach was spotless....even at the end of the day when people actually chucked their rubbish away ;0)

Must say Marcie the sand is very remininect of Durban beach for me in colour but has the same texture of the Easten Cape sands and it is so spotless you don't mind it being a little muddy on the tide line :0)

Jenny in Durbs said...

Looks great & you can see the enjoyment. Have a Blessed Easter.

CG said...

These gorgeous days make everything seem better, don't they? Lovely photos. happy Easter!

clare said...

Funny that - the amount of things we didnt know we wanted when we lived in sa! could spend hours on that subject. xxx