Monday, 12 October 2009

9-11 October 2009

Wow, I didn't really know how much I needed this weekend until I had it....I mean I knew I was beside myself with excitement, but I simply cannot believe how much stronger, recharged and more myself I am feeling this morning.

Time with a person who has known you longer then anyone else but your family is very precious, especially considering that we haven't always been in each other's day to day lives and there was a time when we literally didn't talk for months on end.

Moving to England has given Tanya and I the chance to rekindle our friendship and to me it is now as strong as it ever was....I don't need words to make Tanya understand my heart, she simply knows and although we don't necessarily agree on everything we always have each other's best interests at heart.

As for what we did...Friday night we spent at the flat after dinner and a drink at Victoria station, we did facial masks and I applied a set of false nails and we drank tea and chatted and chilled.


Saturday we had an earlier then expected start (considering the absence of children) and spent the day wandering down Portobello Road, enjoying the market and experiences we simply couldn't dream of with children in tow....The weather was perfect, just warm enough to remove coats but not so hot that we couldn't breath in the crowds of people, and I just loved the whole "vibe" in the area...and no there aren't photos as my camera remained at the flat - I am now local and no longer a tourist :o)

We met up with a friend of Tanya's very briefly at the One Foot in the Grove Urban festival by Mutate Britian underneath the West Way on Saturday evening, and although I did feel a little like a fish out of water to begin with, after deciding to embrace the experience I enjoyed the art exhibition and just indulging in a little bit of "Grahamstown" after so many years.

Finished off the night strolling from Picadilly Circus to Covent Gardens and a drink at the well known Punch and Judy pub before snuggling up to rest our feet and finish a delish bottle of champagne back at the flat.

Sunday wasn't nearly as early a start and it was almost lunch time by the time we checked our bags in at left luggage at Victoria station....Tanya took me out to the East of London on the Docklands Light Railway (a small driverless railway system on the outskirts of London) to see the area she used to live in and it was again lovely to just chat and throw thoughts around and analyse feelings with someone who knows me as well as I know myself. Sadly 5pm came all to quickly and it was back to Victoria and home to my family.

As much as I ADORED the weekend it is always nice to be home and the children and Si all enjoyed the little gifts and treat I brought home with me. I am now counting the days until our next trip :0)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh how wonderful. I am planning a weekend at spar with the girls - hubby just doesn't know about it yet. Time for some 'girlie' stuff.......

Beryldene said...

GF sounds like you and Tanya had a DELIGHTFUL time! I love hearing news about girls being girls - we forget all too quickly what an essential part of being sane it is! These times are also good because they give us a chance to miss our families, and vice versa....

You and Tanya are so blessed to have rekindled your closeness - that's what true frienships are all about! ;-)

Lots of love

linda andrew said...

fantastic !!!! thrilled you both were able to sneak away from the rat race of mother hood and be together as two friends ....theraputic i am sure

Gill said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend! Wish I could just hop on a train and go to London for the weekend (sigh) it sounds so.....European.... BTW I love, love, love the boots!!

Tracy Schimper said...

sounds like you had a wonderful time together, definately time to schedule in some you time on a regular basis.
xx

Michelle Ramsay said...

Wow, what a great time you two had. That is what friendships are all about - you can just pick up where you left off and still have a great time and reminisce.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you ahd a great time and beautiful photos...